Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Skip Hollowell <sk...@skipdaddy.com> on 2008/03/07 17:07:24 UTC

[S2] Load Testing and number of sessions

Hey all,

It's getting pretty close to that magical time, production day.

So I am starting to get a little anxious about what kind of limits my
Struts 2 app will run up against.  Is there any good way to determine
what kind of user load I will start maxing out with?  Is there an open
source load test tool for webapps that you all might recommend.
Something that I can use to simulate hundreds of signed in users at the
same time?  I'm just more curious what has worked for you all before I
try a couple of things here.  Right now we are slated to run 2 servers,
each with 1 instance of tomcat, and some basic load balancing down to
divvy up requests to the separate machines.

Skip Hollowell

Re: [S2] Load Testing and number of sessions

Posted by st...@gmail.com.
This sounds as exciting as your first kiss!  Have you looked at HttpUnit?

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Skip Hollowell <sk...@skipdaddy.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> It's getting pretty close to that magical time, production day.
>
> So I am starting to get a little anxious about what kind of limits my
> Struts 2 app will run up against.  Is there any good way to determine
> what kind of user load I will start maxing out with?  Is there an open
> source load test tool for webapps that you all might recommend.
> Something that I can use to simulate hundreds of signed in users at the
> same time?  I'm just more curious what has worked for you all before I
> try a couple of things here.  Right now we are slated to run 2 servers,
> each with 1 instance of tomcat, and some basic load balancing down to
> divvy up requests to the separate machines.
>
> Skip Hollowell

Scott
stanlick@gmail.com

Re: [S2] Load Testing and number of sessions

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Skip Hollowell <sk...@skipdaddy.com> wrote:
> It's getting pretty close to that magical time, production day.
>
> So I am starting to get a little anxious about what kind of limits my
> Struts 2 app will run up against.  Is there any good way to determine
> what kind of user load I will start maxing out with?  Is there an open
> source load test tool for webapps that you all might recommend.
> Something that I can use to simulate hundreds of signed in users at the
> same time?  I'm just more curious what has worked for you all before I
> try a couple of things here.  Right now we are slated to run 2 servers,
> each with 1 instance of tomcat, and some basic load balancing down to
> divvy up requests to the separate machines.

I've used JMeter [1] pretty extensively and Grinder [2] has also been
recommended to me, but I haven't used it.

As to what you'll "max out" with that is incredibly application-dependent. I
hope it's not *really* close to launch, though... load testing is not
something that should be put off.

Dave

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/
[2] http://grinder.sourceforge.net/