Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Chatra Nakkawita <ch...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/29 08:29:25 UTC

'latest' dir is now renamed to '1_1' in axis2 xdocs

Hi,

Just a note to let you know that the latest dir in the
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/xdocs/ is now
renamed as 1_1.

This was done as part of updating/creating documents for upcoming
Axis2 1.1release and to  make sure that all the links in terms of
Axis2
1.1 documents work. The documents for this release are been worked on
currently. Any document updates in terms of Axis2 1.1 version needs to be
made on
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/xdocs/1_1.

Once Axis2 1.1 is released, we will create a latest dir (which will start
off as a copy of the final 1_1 dir, to make sure that we use an up-to-date
documents version) which will serve as the working document directory. Which
means that after 1.1 release what ever updates in terms of the worked on
Axis2 version will be made on the new 'latest' dir.

Thanks & regards,

Chatra

Re: 'latest' dir is now renamed to '1_1' in axis2 xdocs

Posted by Chatra Nakkawita <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 9/29/06, Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> wrote:

> Is there a particular reason why this is not kept as "latest" and move
> to 1_1 when we release? (At the same time I can not see a latest folder
> anymore in the svn). That approach will enable people to work always
> with the "latest" documents.

The only advantage I can think of creating 1_1 folder is links
> management. But if we manage links with relative urls, which is the way
> it should be done, then even that is not a problem.

Doccuments outside 1_1 also access documents inside 1_1. So the document
name matters. And yes, we use relative URLs on the documents. So the main
reason for the renam was to build the site and do the testing for all
documentation.

We will create a latest dir using the final copy of '1_1' once Axis2 1.1 is
released, so that latest dir will contain an updated version.

Thanks,
Chatra

The best approach, IMHO, that could have done was to leave it as latest

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Thilina,

The current plan was implemented earlier to enable both the convenience
of the people who are managing docs and to minimize the effect on others
when they checkout.

But if people think, following is the correct way, I have no objections
for that. But remember who ever putting the links will have to have
multiple branches in his/her working copy. I hope the one who will be
building the site will be able to manage this without much of a trouble.

Anyway, +1 for the proposal.

Since most of the people have already +1'ed this, I assume *no one* will
complain about this.

-- Chinthaka

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the Deepal's idea...

http://webservices.apache.org/~thilina/
http://thilinag.blogspot.com/

Re: 'latest' dir is now renamed to '1_1' in axis2 xdocs

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Chatra Nakkawita <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
I fully agree with Deepal. Maintaining two versions of the documentation on
the trunk is an adhoc way of version management. When SVN does such a good
job, why should we go for such an adhoc structure? We never do this for the
code, so why special treatment for the docs? As Deepal said, the correct way
of doing this should be cutting a branch in SVN after the 1.1 release, and
any documentation bugs in 1.1 should be fixed in that branch (and most
probably, also in the trunk). BTW, I think this is not the first time this
has been argued on this list :D

Azeez

On 9/29/06, Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk> wrote:

> Hi Chatra and all,
>
> Well , I know we had the same kind of structure for previous releases as
> well . But I am -1 on keeping two doc folders.  And I can not name any
> other Apache project which use this kind of document structure. In the
> meantime keeping duplication data make unnecessary  complication ,
>   - if we find error in one document ,  need to change them in two
> location. Is that good habit (I dont think so)
>   - If some one new to Axis2 , and if he download Axis2 what kind of doc
> structure will he get ? if I download Axis2 today do I need to know
> about the previous version docs. (I know its useful to have them in the
> web site , but not in the code base)
>
> And remember , we use "SVN" and after each release we cut a branch , so if
> some one want to update old doc , go and update them in the branch (if you
> think it is really necessary, o.w just update that in the current SVN)
>
> Specially I dont like to have version related stuff , in the current code
> base , if we have we should remove them.
>
> Finally , this is the first time I -1 in this mailing list , that is b'coz
> I honestly dont like that  :).
>
> Thanks
> Deepal
>

> Chatra Nakkawita wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just a note to let you know that the latest dir in the
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/xdocs/ is
> > now renamed as 1_1.
> >
> > This was done as part of updating/creating documents for upcoming Axis2
> > 1.1 release and to  make sure that all the links in terms of Axis2 1.1
> > documents work. The documents for this release are been worked on
> > currently. Any document updates in terms of Axis2 1.1 version needs to
> > be made on
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/xdocs/1_1.
> >
> > Once Axis2 1.1 is released, we will create a latest dir (which will
> > start off as a copy of the final 1_1 dir, to make sure that we use an
> > up-to-date documents version) which will serve as the working document
> > directory. Which means that after 1.1 release what ever updates in terms
> > of the worked on Axis2 version will be made on the new 'latest' dir.
> >
> > Thanks & regards,
> >
> > Chatra

Thanks
Afkham Azeez

Re: 'latest' dir is now renamed to '1_1' in axis2 xdocs

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Chatra and all,

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.