Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Gearóid M <de...@gearoid.me> on 2018/08/29 09:28:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] Supported iOS Versions

The topic of supported iOS version came up in a docs PR recently [1]. I was surprised to find that we still  support iOS 8. I imagine if someone came along with an issue on iOS 8, we wouldn't bother fixing it.

In the Android docs, we say "As a general rule, Android versions become unsupported by Cordova as they dip below 5% on Google's distribution dashboard".[2] Should we adopt the same model for iOS? According to Apple[3], 95% of users are on iOS 10 or 11.

I suggest that the next major version of cordova-ios only supports iOS 10+, and that in future we continue to follow this 5% rule across all platforms to lower our maintenance burden.

[1] https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs/pull/873
[2] https://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/latest/guide/platforms/android/index.html#requirements-and-support
[3] https://developer.apple.com/support/app-store/

Re: [DISCUSS] Supported iOS Versions

Posted by Gearóid M <de...@gearoid.me>.
Apologies, my last reply (and thus Julio's follow up) was accidentally
not to the list.
To sum up, we only support iOS 9+ since 4.4.0. I'll update the docs to
reflect this. I think a lot of the docs are in a poor state, and I hope
to improve them over the next few months.

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.