Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Neverbirth <ne...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/10 20:57:01 UTC

About FDB

I've been looking at FDB lately, and got a bit disappointed when I saw that
it only allows to set the value of scalar variables. Do any of you think is
it possible to improve it?

Also, Adobe showed some years ago some experimental work that allowed to
rewind some code back while debugging, I guess that was never released, I
wonder if any of the old/current Adobe employees still around could give
some insight or even if that's something Adobe could still donate.

Re: About FDB

Posted by Héctor A <ne...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, sometimes my communication skills leave to be desired... I'll do my
best:

1.- Setting values: Right now FDB only allows to set the value of simple
variables (numeric types, strings, and booleans). I improved some debugging
features in FlashDevelop, like live edition of variables, however, not
being able to modify the value of any object variable makes this feature
quite limited when it could be quite useful for everyone.

2.- Type checking: You cannot get the type of a variable through FDB, you
get the type of its value, calling variable.getValue().getType(). The
available values are listed in VariableType:

https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/develop/modules/debugger/src/java/flash/tools/debugger/VariableType.java

  When a String is null you cannot know it's a String, since the type of
the value is 6 (NULL), this is a problem because allowing the users to
modify some null variable may mean they are trying to change some Object,
and when doing so the player could even crash.

RE: About FDB

Re: About FDB

Posted by Héctor A <ne...@gmail.com>.

Re: About FDB