Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2011/11/15 02:20:36 UTC

Is it time for a build machine?

It looks like we have several options, described here:   http://ci.apache.org/

Does anyone have an opinion on which one we should use?

Although getting this to work across multiple platforms will be a big
effort, we don't need to do it all at once.   Getting a single
platform up and running would not be very difficult, for example
Buildbot with Linux. And we would benefit from even that.  For
example, this would enable non-developers to grab builds to test.  As
you've probably noticed, we've had a few people ask how they could
help with testing.  But without builds the only ones who can test are
those who can build AOOo themselves.

I'm poking around at the doc here:
http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/current/full.html

I've also signed up for the builds@apache.org list.

But I could really use some help to move this forward.  So, if you are
interested in helping, let me know.

Thanks!

-Rob

Re: Is it time for a build machine?

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Ah,

On 14 November 2011 22:59, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> Sorry, my jetlag made me miss the "were" in the above sentence.
>
> Ignore my comment.

And I was multitasking too much, while listening to dreary news
reports about those with so much more money (and so little social
consciousness) than we'll ever see.

Louis

Re: Is it time for a build machine?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 14 November 2011 18:44, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2011 2:18 AM, "Louis Suárez-Potts" <ls...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Have you looked at what we were doing in OOo?
>
> Errr.... This is OOo, right here. I'm not sure I understand your question.

Sorry, my jetlag made me miss the "were" in the above sentence.

Ignore my comment.

Ross

Re: Is it time for a build machine?

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Ross,

On 14 November 2011 21:44, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> All services currently hosted by Oracle will be turned off at some point.
> OpenOffice.org now belongs to the Apache Software Foundation. It is our
> responsibility to provide what the PPMC requests of us, wherever possible,
> to keep the project running. Wherever possible this will be the same
> facilities we provide for all other ASF projects. However, the PPMC is free
> to request other facilities if they are required.

I see I was not clear enough; apologies. I meant that we were
following certain rather good (as in producing good stuff) protocols
in the OpenOffice.org project related to, among other things,
releases. My point had nothing to do with equipment or technological
services provided by any megacorporation, let alone Oracle :-). It had
to do with process.

Louis

Re: Is it time for a build machine?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 05:57:16PM -0800, Andrew Rist wrote:

> On 12/1/2011 5:43 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> >Hi Andrew,
> >
> >On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 05:10:15PM -0800, Andrew Rist wrote:
> >>Quick update on the Apache OpenOffice nightly build.
> >>
> >>We now have our own nightly build (yay) and you can see the results
> >>at [1] with the latest build at [2].
> >>Unfortunately, as you can see at that link, after a string in
> >>successful builds, the build has now been broken for several days.
> >>The log is available at [3] and the final message in the log file is:
> >>
> >>    1 module(s):
> >>    	instsetoo_native
> >>    need(s) to be rebuilt
> >>
> >>    Reason(s):
> >>
> >>    ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making /home/buildslave19/slave19/openofficeorg-nightly/build/main/instsetoo_native/util
> >>
> >>    When you have fixed the errors in that module you can resume the build by running:
> >>
> >>    	build --from instsetoo_native
> >>    program finished with exit code 1
> >>    elapsedTime=3337.166106
> >>
> >>Any help debugging this would be appreciated.
> >the build is started with --html, this means the more verbose output is
> >redirected to a folder<module>/<unxlngx6.pro>/misc/logs/<target>.txt
> yes it is
> >
> >In order to get the exact error, you should access
> >
> >instsetoo_native/unxlngx6.pro/misc/logs/util.txt
> it's easy to get single files and add to build page - are there
> other specific files that would be useful?

usually, you look at that log file and it may point to another log in
a logging folder, depending on what it was building.
Let's suppose it was building rpms in the OpenOffice target for the fr
locale, it will point to the log

instsetoo_native/unxlngx6.pro/OpenOffice/rpm/logging/fr/log_DEV300_fr.log

the structure is:

instsetoo_native/<unxlngx6.pro>/<target>/<pkg-format>/logging/<locale>/log_DEV300_<locale>.log

like:

nstsetoo_native/unxlngx6/OpenOffice/rpm/logging/en-US/log_DEV300_en-US.log
nstsetoo_native/unxlngx6/OpenOffice_SDK/deb/logging/en-US/log_DEV300_en-US.log
instsetoo_native/unxlngx6/OpenOffice_languagepack/installed/logging/en-US/log_DEV300_en-US.log

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Is it time for a build machine?

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

--

Andrew Rist | Interoperability Architect
OracleCorporate Architecture Group

Re: Is it time for a build machine?

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
Quick update on the Apache OpenOffice nightly build.

We now have our own nightly build (yay) and you can see the results at
[1] with the latest build at [2].
Unfortunately, as you can see at that link, after a string in successful
builds, the build has now been broken for several days.
The log is available at [3] and the final message in the log file is:

    1 module(s):
    	instsetoo_native
    need(s) to be rebuilt

    Reason(s):

    ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making /home/buildslave19/slave19/openofficeorg-nightly/build/main/instsetoo_native/util

    When you have fixed the errors in that module you can resume the build by running:

    	build --from instsetoo_native
    program finished with exit code 1
    elapsedTime=3337.166106

Any help debugging this would be appreciated.  I am assuming this is
related to the make scripts, etc. as process for the build predated the
dmake changes.

Current plans are:

  * begin working on Win and Mac build (infra is laready playing with
    win build)
  * add RAT code check
  * store full log set
  * store install bits (hopefully just keep latest copy)
  * add testing  (suggestions??)
  * add code analysis  (suggestions??)

For now, though, I'm just hoping to get the build working again...

Andrew

[1] http://ci.apache.org/builders/openofficeorg-nightly
[2] http://ci.apache.org/builders/openofficeorg-nightly/builds/8
[3]
http://ci.apache.org/builders/openofficeorg-nightly/builds/8/steps/shell/logs/stdio

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 11/14/2011 5:20 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> It looks like we have several options, described here:
>> http://ci.apache.org/
>>
>> Does anyone have an opinion on which one we should use?
>>
>> Although getting this to work across multiple platforms will be a big
>> effort, we don't need to do it all at once.   Getting a single
>> platform up and running would not be very difficult, for example
>> Buildbot with Linux. And we would benefit from even that.  For
>> example, this would enable non-developers to grab builds to test.  As
>> you've probably noticed, we've had a few people ask how they could
>> help with testing.  But without builds the only ones who can test are
>> those who can build AOOo themselves.
>>
>> I'm poking around at the doc here:
>> http://buildbot.net/buildbot/docs/current/full.html
>>
>> I've also signed up for the builds@apache.org list.
>>
>> But I could really use some help to move this forward.  So, if you are
>> interested in helping, let me know.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Rob
>
> I've already gotten started on this and opened a Jira issue for creating a
> Linux nightly on buildbot.
> I have checked in a preliminary linux build script and I was working on the
> patch to the buildbot cfg for AOO.
> I was going to initially run the build, RAT, and some code analysis.  Later
> I was going to attempt to run QA tests also.
> There has been discussion of working on the Mac build, and other options are
> a Windows nightly (obviously) and perhaps a Solaris build.

This sounds like a good plan.

I saw your script in the JIRA issue.  Would it be worth doing an svn
update rather than a fresh checkout each time?  (A full checkout can
take 40 minutes).  Or does that break a rule about storing state on
buildbot slaves?

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

I would love you to explain please what Jenkins can do that Buildbot can not
from your POV, thanks.

Gav...

Posted by Mathias Bauer <ma...@gmx.net>.
As much as I liked the old build bots and used them a lot, the whole setup and their overall usage was far from what Hudson/Jenkins can deliver.

So I maintain my point that there is nothing we can use and starting with a new setup and new hardware is better.

Posted by Christian Lohmaier <cl...@openoffice.org>.
Hi *,

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
On 15.11.2011 04:36, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Just wondering,
>
> Perhaps the older OOo at SUN/Oracle also had some
> setup for hudson/jenkins that we could reuse?

No, unfortunately OOo never embraced continuous integration and all the
other wonderful things you can build around it. Our builds where done in
a mixture of a strange home-made build server and manual actions, and
code was not allowed to get in before it passed an approval chain
(before you ask: no, it wasn't based on code reviews). I hope nobody
will ever try to reuse that.

Regards,
Mathias

Re: Is it time for a build machine?

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Just wondering,

Perhaps the older OOo at SUN/Oracle also had some
setup for hudson/jenkins that we could reuse?

cheers,

Pedro.

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.