Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lukas Bradley <lu...@somnia.com> on 2003/10/13 07:35:28 UTC

HttpsURLConnection, Tomcat 4.1.27, and jsse.jar

I'm having a strange problem with Tomcat and
javax.net.ssl.HttpsURLConnection.  I'm using Tomcat 4.1.27, JDK 1.4.1_04,
and the jsse.jar containing the javax.net.ssl and other fine classes.

I've read about certain bugs located here
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/security/jsse/JSSERefGuide.html#InstallProbs
under the heading "Code Using HttpsURLConnection Class Throws
ClassCastException in JSSE 1.0.x."  That is exactly the problem I am having.

However, my command line tests work fine.  The JDK works fine by itself.
There is no ClassCastException.  That means that the regular command-line
version of the HttpsURLConnection is wonderful.  The JSSE classes are
configured correctly using "java".

However, if you attempt to hit the jsp located at
http://www.dollars.com/URLTest.jsp, you'll get an error message with the
aforementioned ClassCastException.  Tomcat and/or Catalina are not finding
the classes, or are having a rough go with the configuration.

Since the JSSE classes now ship with JDK 1.4, I've been having a hard time
understanding why we are getting this error.  The only two ideas I have are
(1) Tomcat is running off an old JDK (which I don't think is the case) or
(2) there is some configuration error.

Attempting to place the System.setProperty() "kludge-fix" in the JSP, it
still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any insight as to how the Tomcat/Catalina settings could
have the JSSE classes misconfigured?

Also read this:
http://jce.iaik.tugraz.at/mailarchive/iaik-jce/msg02392.html
And this:
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=2&thread=254821

But, as you will see in the JSP, it doesn't help.  I've also tried
"javax.net.ssl" in the package property, and it doesn't work.

Do any and all searches for "jsse tomcat ClassCastException" and you'll see
stuff.  I think you might have to explicitly install the JSSE classes into
the java \lib\ext directory, which still doesn't make sense, because they
should be included in 1.4.1 anyway.

Thanks for any and all help.

Lukas