Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2019/08/01 00:54:48 UTC

Re: New board report wizard, feedback welcome!

Pretty neat.

Could add a send draft to list feature (private@ or dev@ for community review).
Does it support editing by multiple people? Can one person resume a
draft saved by another?
Would be nice to have questions from the previous board feedback
auto-populated to be answered in the current report.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

> On 8/1/2019 11:32 PM, Daniel Gruno wrote:
>> On 8/1/19 6:23 PM, Joan Touzet wrote:
>>>

>>> I've seen wizards that would present all the info on a single page, but
>>> collapse each section as it loses focus / scroll is done / "next" button
>>> is pressed. Users could manually expand each section, or press a "Expand
>>> all sections" button to keep everything visible at once?
>>>
>> Still at the early stages (mostly, I am missing feedback from
>> directors on what the various sections could/should contain so I can
>> provide snippets), but.. take a look at:
>> https://reporter.apache.org/wizard/unified.html (force a refresh to
>> get the fresh JS/CSS please, things change!)
>>
>> This is a unified editor with just one big textarea for the report,
>> using some HTML hoodoo to figure out where in the report you are
>> currently looking/editing and provide you with assistance in the right
>> hand panel in turn. The end compiler/checker is also more helpful now
>> and allows for custom sections (permitted they follow the "##
>> Section:" syntax).
>>
>> Hope this is more along the lines y'all were thinking of :)
>> Should work with both FF, Chrome and Safari, BUT there is a bug in
>> current FireFox that ruins the undo/redo when you access size
>> dimensions in a textarea...so, beware.
>
> I like it!
>
> Are the requirements for at least X characters in some sections a board
> requirement? I dislike those because they sometimes force writing of
> meaningless filler just to get to the required count.

No, strictly "something comdev thinks a report should have".
it's defined in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/reporter.apache.org/trunk/site/wizard/steps.json
, and anyone from comdev can make adjustments to criteria as they see
fit :) (tweak or remove the minchars attributes)

Re: New board report wizard, feedback welcome!

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 12:00 PM Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> wrote:

> On 8/1/2019 11:32 PM, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> > On 8/1/19 6:23 PM, Joan Touzet wrote:
> >>

> >> I've seen wizards that would present all the info on a single page, but
> >> collapse each section as it loses focus / scroll is done / "next" button
> >> is pressed. Users could manually expand each section, or press a "Expand
> >> all sections" button to keep everything visible at once?
> >>
> > Still at the early stages (mostly, I am missing feedback from directors
> > on what the various sections could/should contain so I can provide
> > snippets), but.. take a look at:
> > https://reporter.apache.org/wizard/unified.html (force a refresh to get
> > the fresh JS/CSS please, things change!)
> >
> > This is a unified editor with just one big textarea for the report,
> > using some HTML hoodoo to figure out where in the report you are
> > currently looking/editing and provide you with assistance in the right
> > hand panel in turn. The end compiler/checker is also more helpful now
> > and allows for custom sections (permitted they follow the "## Section:"
> > syntax).
> >
> > Hope this is more along the lines y'all were thinking of :)
> > Should work with both FF, Chrome and Safari, BUT there is a bug in
> > current FireFox that ruins the undo/redo when you access size dimensions
> > in a textarea...so, beware.
>
> I like it!
>
> Are the requirements for at least X characters in some sections a board
> requirement? I dislike those because they sometimes force writing of
> meaningless filler just to get to the required count.

Will reporter warn if there are lines which go beyond column 80?  And
if so, will it assist with reflowing?

If it helps, look for a static text method in class Flow in the
following script:

https://whimsy.apache.org/board/agenda/app.js

- Sam Ruby

Re: New board report wizard, feedback welcome!

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I tested it too,

That sounds like good ideas to me Patricia.

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
I used it - on a trial basis - for the generation of the Trafodion
quarterly report for upcoming board meeting, and found it quit cumbersome.
While adding content to it I found the screen/section constantly
repositioning itself to the top of the content, which was quite annoying.

On the other hand, I found the recap of the metrics in the reporter tool
quite handy. Unfortunately, the basis from where it was derived (the 'see
full metrics (new tab)' link/page) did not show all metrics.
Especially the mailing list trends showed only what someone else seems to
be regarding as important. Regarding this, the PMC of a project is the only
party who can determine what is important to report (or not), and it would
be therefore better that metrics of all mailing lists are shown.

Also, as the reporting period is defined (from the first day of the first
month of the reporting period to the last day of the last month of the
reporting period), I would be more accurate if the metrics page would
reflect that. Now it shows datapoint derived from the page refresh date,
which may lead to skewed (and difficult to compare) results. An improvement
would be that the tool would generate the metrics on shortly (within hours)
after the end of the reporting period automatically and store those results
for future use.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)