Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Aaron Steele <as...@berkeley.edu> on 2005/06/24 17:48:21 UTC

repository not responding to anything

hi,

we're running subversion 1.0.9 on linux redhat 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp.

spontaneously, our repository no longer responds (locally or remotely)
to svn or svnadmin... it just hangs. any ideas?

thanks,
aaron

Re: repository not responding to anything

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 14:27 -0700, Aaron Steele wrote:
> backend storage is berkeleydb... file protocol does not work... again,
> this problem is exclusively with a particular repository... other
> repositories on the server are working.
>
> ack.

Can you use the db_* programs to look into the database?  Not to lecture
you about the use of berkeleyDB, you probably have better resources
about that than myself judging by your email domain name.

If you _can_ get into the DB, then it's obviously svn, but why I have no
idea.  I guess you didn't find any bugs about this in the tracker, so
all that's left if you really want to solve this is to see where SVN
fails silently in r11084 - but that would be a lot of work.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Up, Ben just replied before I could finish a google search.  Try his
instructions.

Chris
--
PGP Public Key: http://www.nesser.org/pgp-key/
19:09:29 up 18 min, 2 users, load average: 0.12, 0.26, 0.26

Re: repository not responding to anything

Posted by Aaron Steele <as...@berkeley.edu>.
hi ben,

at one point i tried removing the db.lock, but i didn't touch it back.
removing and touch on db.lock did the trick, along with an 'svnadmin
recover'. the repository is back online!

thanks,
aaron

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Aaron Steele <as...@berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 12:02 -0700, Aaron Steele wrote:
> there are no errors in the httpd error log, and the repository is
> inaccessible on the server itself (via svn and svnadmin).

No errors at all?  Do the binaries exist?  What is their timestamp,
could someone be messing around with them?

Can the binary get a help string (`svn {help, --version}` would be nice
to know) and what type/version are you using of the backend storage
(berkeleyDB or FSFS)?

What about using the file protocol on the local machine aka:
       svn co file:///usr/your/svnrepo/project1

> are we doomed?

No, do you have a dump file you can move to another machine?

What has been upgraded lately?  Did you build subversion as a static
binary or as a shared library (default)?  If so have the shared
libraries been updated by someone/thing else?  Has LDCONFIG been run
lately to update the shared libraries?

I'm tired, that's a lot of questions.
Chris
--
Wireless Group,
McMaster University

finger.localdomain
16:32:00 up 4 days, 5:35, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.14, 0.08

Re: repository not responding to anything

Posted by Aaron Steele <as...@berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Aaron Steele <as...@berkeley.edu>.
hi frank,