Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joe A <jo...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/25 05:21:05 UTC

[users@httpd] is the parent/child security present in win32 apache?

Does the Win32 version of Apache have a parent process that is running on an
administrator account and the children processes are guest accounts and are
the only ones sending/receiving to and from the Internet?
Thanks,
Joe

Re: [users@httpd] is the parent/child security present in win32 apache?

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 7/24/05, Joe A <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does the Win32 version of Apache have a parent process that is running on an
> administrator account and the children processes are guest accounts and are
> the only ones sending/receiving to and from the Internet?

The parent-child thing is there, but there is no security difference
between them.  From what I understand, win32 does not have the same
restriction as unix that only "root" can bind to port 80, so there is
no need to have the parent run as administrator.  Rather, you just run
both parent and child under a low-priveleged account by properly
configuring the apache service.

Joshua.