Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com> on 2011/04/02 21:20:22 UTC

Tomcat logging changed between 6.0.29 & 6.0.32

Hello,

I noticed that I'm getting what appears to be *all* console logging
showing up in my tomcat6-stdout log file.
It's capturing so much more that then it used to. I looked at the
changelog from 6.0.29 to 6.0.32 and I don't
see anything that describes such a change.

Does anyone know what exactly did change and if there is a way to go
back to previous behavior.

I tried playing around with the logging.properties in /conf and
changed everything from FINE to SEVERE
to see if I could control the amount of info ending up in  tomcat6-
stdout. Did not seem to change anything.

Any explanation and/or direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Pat

Re: Tomcat logging changed between 6.0.29 & 6.0.32

Posted by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>.
On Apr 2, 2011, at 6:53 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:

> 2011/4/3 Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>:
>> Also of note, I see the stderr log with a *lot of the messages*
>> that are in
>> the Catalina log.
>> Exact duplicate line entries.
>
> That is expected. Remove "java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler" from
> configuration. A "1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler" there is
> enough.
Yes, That worked.

>> There is a new log in 6.0.32 called
>> commons-daemon.2011-04-01.log also the stderr & stdout have
>> different names
>> between the two builds.
>>
>> 6.0.29 names
>> stdout_20110402.log
>> stderr_20110402.log
>>
>> 6.0.32 names
>> tomcat6-stderr.2011-04-02.log
>> tomcat6-stdout.2011-04-02.log
>
> Yes, that is. It is just cosmetic changes though. From using a
> different version of http://commons.apache.org/daemon/
Thanks for the explanation.

>> What I see that's was never seen in any Tomcat logs is what looks
>> like
>> messaging from a 3rd party dll.
>
>> but I also see messages that are not in my code which *ARE* the
>> new messages seen
>> now in stdout from the 3rd party library.
>
> DLLs in Java?  Anyway, cannot say much from what you have wrote.
> Neither you mention the actual messages.
This is the startup/beginning of my tomcat6-stdout:

2011-04-02 16:51:16 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedfound
condition with property "CSFONT_Group::CSFONT_isEmbedded"
PRC MANIP: Changed severity for Rule "Missing Fonts" in RuleSet
"Automatic Rule Set"
found condition with property "CSFONT_Group::CSFONT_BaseFontName"
PRC MANIP: Changed severity for Rule "Missing Fonts" in RuleSet
"Automatic Rule Set"
found condition with property "CSIMAGE_Group::CSIMAGE_Resolution"
found condition with property "CSIMAGE_Group::CSIMAGE_Resolution"
found condition with property "CSIMAGE_Group::CSIMAGE_Resolution"
found condition with property "CSIMAGE_Group::CSIMAGE_Resolution"

These messages *do* show in the console when I run tomcat6.exe but
historically never in any log.
Also my System.out.println messages *do not show* up in any log where
they printed in stdout in 6.0.29.?????

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/4/3 Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>:
> Also of note, I see the stderr log with a *lot of the messages* that are in
> the Catalina log.
> Exact duplicate line entries.

That is expected. Remove "java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler" from
configuration. A "1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler" there is
enough.

> There is a new log in 6.0.32 called
> commons-daemon.2011-04-01.log also the stderr & stdout have different names
> between the two builds.
>
> 6.0.29 names
> stdout_20110402.log
> stderr_20110402.log
>
> 6.0.32 names
> tomcat6-stderr.2011-04-02.log
> tomcat6-stdout.2011-04-02.log

Yes, that is. It is just cosmetic changes though. From using a
different version of http://commons.apache.org/daemon/

> What I see that's was never seen in any Tomcat logs is what looks like
> messaging from a 3rd party dll.

> but I also see messages that are not in my code which *ARE* the new messages seen
> now in stdout from the 3rd party library.

DLLs in Java?  Anyway, cannot say much from what you have wrote.
Neither you mention the actual messages.

> The OS is Windows 7 64 Bit.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat logging changed between 6.0.29 & 6.0.32

Posted by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>.
There are definitely changes. What used to show up was anything I
printed from my app
via System.out.println. I don't see any of those messages in any of
the logs.

What I see that's was never seen in any Tomcat logs is what looks
like messaging from a
3rd party dll.

If I run the console via tomcat6.exe I do see the messages I print
via System.out.println but I
also see messages that are not in my code which *ARE* the new
messages seen now
in stdout from the 3rd party library.

Also of note, I see the stderr log with a *lot of the messages* that
are in the Catalina log.
Exact duplicate line entries.

Finally I went back to 6.0.29 and noted this. There is a new log in

On Apr 2, 2011, at 3:40 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:

> 2011/4/2 Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I noticed that I'm getting what appears to be *all* console
>> logging showing
>> up in my tomcat6-stdout log file.
>> It's capturing so much more that then it used to. I looked at the
>> changelog
>> from 6.0.29 to 6.0.32 and I don't
>> see anything that describes such a change.
>>
>> Does anyone know what exactly did change and if there is a way to
>> previous behavior.
>>
>> I tried playing around with the logging.properties in /conf and
>> changed
>> everything from FINE to SEVERE
>> to see if I could control the amount of info ending up in  tomcat6-
>> stdout.
>> Did not seem to change anything.
>>
>> Any explanation and/or direction would be much appreciated.
>>

> There should not be any such changes. What, exactly, is printed?
>
> What is your OS?
>
> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko

Patrick Flaherty

Rampage Systems Inc.
411 Waverley Oaks Rd.
Suite 138
Waltham, MA. 02452-8405
781-891-9400 x239

Re: Tomcat logging changed between 6.0.29 & 6.0.32

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.