Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by kiran kumar <ju...@yahoo.com> on 2001/05/14 12:19:13 UTC

auto reloading in tomcat

hi

Can u briefly suggest me how the auto-reload feature
works in tomcat 3.2.1 i have installed tomcat has
plug-in to apache server. that does make a difference
for auto-reload to work. The class files are not
gettin refreshed. I have to stop/start the server
again. Please mail me how the auto-reload feature
works

Kiran Kumar

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Re: Hot Deploy.

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
Allan Kamau wrote:

> is there such a thing like Hot deployment of new
> servlets and/or servlets.
> this requires the editing of the context's web.xml,
> can this be done without TC restart?.

Just a comment...
If Tomcat can be shutdown via a port, why can't it be told to read the
new config using the same way? Restarting doesn't have to be done by
shutting down the JVM; just read the new config, and apply the new
values internally.

Oki

BUG IN TOMCAT ??? request.getRemoteUser() always returns null after authentication

Posted by Arnaud Dostes - NTI <ad...@nti-sa.com>.
BUG IN TOMCAT ??? request.getRemoteUser() always returns null after
authentication

I just came across an anomaly when using Tomcat :

In the first case, I am using Apache with Weblogic as a servlet engine and
the radius authentication module (similar to .htacess authentication)
I call  http://localhost/secure/index.jsp , apache prompts me for username
and password, and once they are correct, the index.jsp page is displayed
(served by weblogic).
The request.getRemoteUser() method returns the username entered in the
prompt.

In the seconde case, I am using Apache with Tomcat as servlet engine and the
radius authentication module
Everything is the same as above, except that request.getRemoteUser() always
returns null

Any clues ? Is this a bug ? An open bug ? Is it in mod_jk or in Tomcat or
Apache ?

Thanks

Re: Hot Deploy.

Posted by Bip Thelin <bi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 15 May 2001, Frans Verhoef wrote:

> Why do you need to edit web.xml, whenever you add a servlet?
> I do not think there is anything editable that will help in adding
> servlets in the web.xml file.
>
> If you add a new servlet in an existing context, it should be
> automatically being recognised and run.
>
> Otherwise, if you want to add it in a new context, you need to
> change the server.xml, add the servlet and stop/start tomcat.

Yes you are right, I think why he wanted to edit web.xml was
to map the servlet to a url pattern. i.e. /myservlet/

	..bip

Re: Hot Deploy.

Posted by Frans Verhoef <fr...@travel-companion.net>.
Why do you need to edit web.xml, whenever you add a servlet?
I do not think there is anything editable that will help in adding
servlets in the web.xml file.

If you add a new servlet in an existing context, it should be
automatically being recognised and run.

Otherwise, if you want to add it in a new context, you need to
change the server.xml, add the servlet and stop/start tomcat.

Frans

Re: Hot Deploy.

Posted by Bip Thelin <bi...@apache.org>.

Hot Deploy.

Posted by Allan Kamau <hu...@yahoo.com>.
is there such a thing like Hot deployment of new
servlets and/or servlets.
this requires the editing of the context's web.xml,
can this be done without TC restart?.

Allan.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Re: auto reloading in tomcat

Posted by "Noel E. Lecaros" <sp...@mozcom.com>.
Set reloadable="true" in the <Context> tag in conf/server.xml, i.e.:

        <Context path="/examples"
                 docBase="webapps/examples"
                 crossContext="false"
                 debug="0"