Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alejandro Forero Cuervo <az...@bachue.com> on 2006/05/25 00:52:57 UTC

Dir for latest stable release?

If I make a directory for a project with the standard layout, —trunk,
branches and tags—, where can I place a directory that will always
contain the latest release?  Just like trunk will always contain the
latest development code, I was looking for some standard directory
that will always contain the latest stable release.

This is important in part because I want to make it possible to write
scripts that find the latest stable releases for all the modules
inside a repository (that has multiple projects) without having to add
intelligence to parse version numbers (for the files in the tags
directory) to them.  So I would standarize on always using a certain
directory under each project's root.

I'm quite aware that I can use whatever I want, but I'm looking for
suggestions to see if there is some sort of standard practice for
this.  I looked at the Version Control with Subversion book but
couldn't find anything on this.  branches/stable doesn't look right,
since no development is expected to take place on that "branch".
Although tags/stable would feel slightly better, it doesn't look right
neither, since the contents of that tag would be changing over time
(whenever a new release is made).

What would you recommend?

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/

Re: Dir for latest stable release?

Posted by Alejandro Forero Cuervo <az...@freaks-unidos.net>.

> Whenever you make a new tag for the project, also do one of the
> following:
>
> [...]
>
> - set a property "latest" of the tags directory to the latest tag
> name; anyone can read this with a minimum of fuss using "svn propget
> latest <url of tags directory>"

Yes, that seems like a good option.  I'll go with that.

Thanks!

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 25, 2006, at 02:52, Alejandro Forero Cuervo wrote:

> If I make a directory for a project with the standard layout, —trunk,
> branches and tags—, where can I place a directory that will always
> contain the latest release?  Just like trunk will always contain the
> latest development code, I was looking for some standard directory
> that will always contain the latest stable release.

[snip]

On some FTP servers I've seen the convention of putting a file in the
directory called "LATEST-IS-1.2.3" where "1.2.3" is the latest
version number. In some projects this is an empty file. In others
it's a copy of the actual latest release in for example .tar.gz
format. Here's one such project:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pango/1.13/

I could think of a number of ways of adapting this to Subversion.
Whenever you make a new tag for the project, also do one of the
following:

- copy the new tag to a tag called "latest", "svn rm"ing the previous
one first.
- create an empty file in the tags directory called "LATEST-IS-1.2.3"
just as above.
- set a property "latest" of the tags directory to the latest tag
name; anyone can read this with a minimum of fuss using "svn propget
latest <url of tags directory>"

I think I like the last option best.

Re: Dir for latest stable release?

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
You seem to be mixing the concept of the "latest release" with the problem of "always get the same release for this build environment". You cannot hope to do both!

It's easy to set an "external" property for a Subversion directory, to always get a specifrc branch or tag of software at a specific revision number and download it locally. That's what I'd be inclined to do: if you want that to be updated regularly, then you'll need to pick some branch or tag and say "OK, project/tags/current will always be the current release", or to say "we will neightly generate a project/branches/project-data will be generated nightly, and people can refer to that".

[...]

  How about creating a releases directory where you always point to the most recent/stable release tag of your project. Then all your scripts could refer
  to <repos>/releases/stable/projectA for the most recent release.

  releases
    stable
      ProjectA (which is 'svn cp <repos>/projectA/tags/Release1.0 <repos>/releases/stable/projectA)

  projectA
    trunk
    branches
    tags