Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Mark Aufdencamp <ma...@aufdencamp.com> on 2008/02/26 19:07:18 UTC

Pre-Compiling

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted to the list.  I've been working with
Geronimo 1.1 on an application for the last year.  It's finally grown
large enough that I'd like to pre-compile my JSP's and Struts Action
Servlets prior to deploying them. How does one accomplish this?  I
googled and didn't find anything real definitive.  I'd prefer utilizing
Ant over Maven, as it already exists in my development environment.

Also, I've attempted an initial deployment of my EAR to Geronimo 2, but
it didn't like my deployment descriptor.  I'm guessing I just need to
change the xmlns:sys from deployment-1.1 to deployment-2.0, but would
like to confirm that.  Any info on porting from 1.1 to 2 is welcome.

TIA
Mark Aufdencamp
Mark@Aufdencamp.com

Re: Pre-Compiling

Posted by Jason Warner <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

I don't know anything about pre-compiling, but I can tell you that the
appropriate deployment descriptor is deployment-1.2

--
~Jason Warner

Re: Pre-Compiling

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 26, 2008, at 1:07 PM, Mark Aufdencamp wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It's been a while since I posted to the list.  I've been working with
> Geronimo 1.1 on an application for the last year.  It's finally grown
> large enough that I'd like to pre-compile my JSP's and Struts Action
> Servlets prior to deploying them. How does one accomplish this?  I
> googled and didn't find anything real definitive.  I'd prefer
> utilizing
> Ant over Maven, as it already exists in my development environment.

We (Geronimo) use the maven Jspc plugin -- http://mojo.codehaus.org/jspc-maven-plugin/
  -- in our build (check our pom.xml for more details).

For ant-based compilation, suggest you use Tomcat 6 precompilation
support. Look for 'Web App Compilation' in http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jasper-howto.html

Looks like Jason answered your other question.

--kevan

Re: Pre-Compiling

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.
Mark Aufdencamp wrote:
> It's been a while since I posted to the list.  I've been working with
> Geronimo 1.1 on an application for the last year.  It's finally grown
> large enough that I'd like to pre-compile my JSP's and Struts Action
> Servlets prior to deploying them. How does one accomplish this?  I
> googled and didn't find anything real definitive.  I'd prefer utilizing
> Ant over Maven, as it already exists in my development environment.

Hi Mark,

I think pre-compilation of your JSPs is a function of which JSP engine
you run and your build environment.

One useful link for Tomcat is given here which shows you how to do it
with Ant:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jasper-howto.html

--
Thanks, Dan Becker