Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/04 10:06:15 UTC

Guidelines for a mutual contribution

Hi

Can someone indicate me where to find some guidelines to commit a
mutual contribution? In other words, how to proceed when there is two
developers or corporations involved in a work they would like to
commit ?
I do not find any information on this subject on
http://www.apache.org/licenses/ neither on
http://uima.apache.org/contribution-policy.html

Do we have to submit each of us an "Individual Contributor License
Agreement" to the ASF and specify clearly in the NOTICE file of our
contribution the complete attribution ?

Thanks in advance

/Nicolas

--
Nicolas.Hernandez@univ-nantes.fr

Re: Guidelines for a mutual contribution

Posted by Thilo Götz <tw...@gmx.de>.
So what are you planning to contribute?

--Thilo

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nicolas,

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Sounds very interesting, I am actually interested in training
the OpenNLP POS Tagger with this data. I guess we can also use it
to make a Tokenizer and Sentence Detector model.

Would it be possible that the owner of that data grants the right
to distribute models trained on it to the ASF itself?

Jörn

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.
Dear Everyone,

Tommaso asked me who holds the existing distribution rights because I
forgot to mention it in the IP clearance form and also to be sure I
have the right to make the donation... Actually Tommaso, I have to
check the name we have to write here (I am not sure which one of the
exact names of the individuals, laboratory or University should
appear). It may be the names of the researchers. I tell you soon.

Clearly, we want to transfer to the ASF all the right to make her
possible to distribute our contribution under the AL2 . As
researchers, we thought that the IP Clearance was the best way to
respect the authorship.

Marshall, we got an email from the legal department of the University
of Paris Diderot (who is the one who writes the French Treebank
License). After discussion with A. Abeillé who is the holder of the
corpus, they grant us the right to distribute under AL2 the models we
build from the French Treebank. The mail is in French but I can send
it wherever you want.
As I previously suggested I can also ask the holder and the legal
department of her University, if they agree to add an explicit mention
in their license to allow anyone to distribute under AL2 the models
automatically built from the corpus.

Best regards

/Nicolas

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 9/2/11 10:05 AM, Nicolas Hernandez wrote:
> Yes, Jörn.
>
> Since we (LINA Lab.) managed to get the right to distrisbute the
> models, we contacted the owner (actually her legal department) in
> July, to ask her if it would be possible, with respect to the corpus
> rights, to specify in the license that the trained models could be
> distributed by anyone under AL2.
>
> So far, no news. I will ask again soon.

Great, I think having this exception in their license would be the
best solution for everyone, I guess we then don't even need
all the papers.

Usually these statistical models only contain at best short n-grams
which cannot be used to re-construct the original text and don't
violate the copyright of the training material it was created from.

Jörn

Re: Guidelines for a mutual contribution

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.
Yes, Jörn.

Since we (LINA Lab.) managed to get the right to distrisbute the
models, we contacted the owner (actually her legal department) in
July, to ask her if it would be possible, with respect to the corpus
rights, to specify in the license that the trained models could be
distributed by anyone under AL2.

So far, no news. I will ask again soon.

Best

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
2011/9/1 Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>

> On 9/1/11 2:39 PM, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
>
>> I am reviewing the legal stuff for this; if no one objects, once I'm
>> finished I'll proceed with the vote for the acceptance for HMM Tagger
>> French
>> Models.
>>

> Will it be possible for us to retrain these models? And then also release
> the retrained models?

As long as one can read French (that is a false sentence for me at the
moment :P) Nicolas wrote something here:
http://enicolashernandez.blogspot.com/2011/05/construire-des-modelisations-du-french.html

The models were built on French Treebank corpus [1].
It would be nice if it could be translated to English, and hopefully added
to the Tagger documentation.

> Otherwise it will be hard to change to code, since strict backward
> compatibility
> must be maintained.

As far as I know, not at the moment as the legal stuff and this contribution
regard only the models as they are without the data used to train them.
Asking the French Treebank corpus rights owner to grant ASF a SGA for such
data would be another piece of work I think.
My 2 cents.
Tommaso

[1] : http://www.llf.cnrs.fr/Gens/Abeille/French-Treebank-fr.php

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
I am reviewing the legal stuff for this; if no one objects, once I'm
finished I'll proceed with the vote for the acceptance for HMM Tagger French
Models.
Cheers,
Tommaso

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Right, CCLA recorded :-)

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hello Everyone

Tommaso I confirm that the CCLA from the University has been sent a
few hours ago to the Apache secretary.
You should have all the necessary CLA now.

Best regards

/Nicolas

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tommaso

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hello Nicolas,

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tommaso

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Nicolas,

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hello Tommaso

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
First, I am not a lawyer.  These are just my thoughts about how things work at
Apache.

What happens is not the "transfer of rights", but rather instead, holders of IP
grant a license to the ASF that includes permissions for the ASF to distribute
and to sublicense others to do the same.

See the text of the software grant (
http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt ), in the first "grant" # 1 a).

-Marshall

> I ask because I always assumed that the ASF grants redistribution rights to all artifacts to everybody. So if the distribution rights are granted to the ASF, but not to the general public, the models might be redistributed through the UIMA website, but if I wanted to include them in a distribution, I would require an explicit permission from the University of Nantes. If that interpretation is correct, then I would be worried about my understanding and handling of the ASL.
>
> So is it correct to assume that if the distribution rights are transferred the ASF, that also the right to grant distribution rights is transferred to the ASF and that the ASF in turn grants distribution rights to the general public?
>
> Best,
>
> Richard
>
> Am 17.06.2011 um 13:08 schrieb Tommaso Teofili:
>
>> Hello Richard,
>> I was asking Nicolas about this just because I wanted to be sure we set
>> right the copyright holder, see also Jörn's questions:
>>
>> 2011/5/31 Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>
>>
>>> And even when we follow your description to retrain the models, do we
>>> then have the right to publish it under AL 2.0 or do we need to go through
>>> IP clearance
>>> again, because the AL 2.0 publishing is an agreement between you and the
>>> corpus copyright holder?
>>>
>>> I think having an agreement which grants rights to the ASF to publish the
>>> models trained on the
>>> data under AL 2.0 is what we need, and it would also be nice if every
>>> committer in the team could
>>> get access to the data.
>>
>> so the copyright holder signing a SGA transfers distribution rights to ASF.
>> Jukka and others, please correct me if I am wrong.
>> Regards,
>> Tommaso
>>
>> 2011/6/17 Richard Eckart de Castilho <eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
>>> Hello Tommaso,
>>>
>>> as an interested bystander I am would like to know more about the IP and
>>> distribution rights.
>>>
>>> Is it not the case that full copyright and distribution rights have to be
>>> transferred to the Apache Foundation?
>>> What is the effect of having the University of Nantes as the distribution
>>> rights holder?
>>> Doesn't the Apache License clearly state that the licensed item are freely
>>> distributable?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Richard

>>> if
>>> distribution
>>> welcome
>>>>
>>> --
>>> Richard Eckart de Castilho
>>> Technical Lead
>>> Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
>>> FB 20 Computer Science Department
>>> Technische Universität Darmstadt
>>> Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
>>> phone [+49] (0)6151 16-7477, fax -5455, room S2/02/B117

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
> [...]

>> rights holder?
>> Doesn't the Apache License clearly state that the licensed item are freely
>> distributable?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> Am 17.06.2011 um 12:40 schrieb Tommaso Teofili:
>>
>>> Hello Nicolas, all,
>>> I've updated your patch with some more details, can you review it and see
>> if
>>> it sounds good to you?
>>> In particular I've set the 'University of Nantes' as holder of
>> distribution
>>> rights, can you confirm that is correct?
>>> If any other UIMA PMC member would like to review it too that'd be
>> welcome
>>> :)
>>> After this has been fixed I plan to call a vote here to accept this IP
>>> Regards,

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hello Richard,

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Hello Tommaso,

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hello Nicolas, all,

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Nicolas,

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hello Nicolas,

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.
To let you know

I have open the following issue
"Donation of French data models for the Apache UIMA Sandbox HMM Tagger"

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Nicolas,

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Thilo Götz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 5/19/11 3:04 PM, Nicolas Hernandez wrote:
> Hello Everyone
>
> Jörn, yes it (training MaxEnt models for OpenNLP from the French
> Treebank) is actually part of our plan (building a French-Speaking
> UIMA Community). We wanted also to contribute to the OpenNLP project
> since no models was available for French processing!

That would be really nice, we would love to get this contribution. Over
at OpenNLP we have special parser for different corpus formats, maybe we can
integrate your parsing code for the French corpus there. Then we can
train our components
on this data.

OpenNLP also comes with an UIMA integration, which makes all components
(expect coref)
available to UIMA applications.

> About  the right to train models on this data set and then distribute
> them under Apache License 2: It took time for us to get the right to
> do it, but I think it was because we were the first to ask for. Now
> they know about it. I know that the maltparser team
> (http://maltparser.org/) would be also interested by the grant. You
> may ask for the French Treebank authors. I can also ask them for
> letting an explicit mention about the right to do it on their web
> site.

It would be nice if the data can be shared between the OpenNLP developers,
and we of course would need to distribute the model under AL 2.0, but
just having the integration code would also be nice, because it looks like
everyone can easily get a copy of that corpus.

> As far as I know, the data training set for the English and German POS
> models are not freely available, are they ?
>
> Eventually, Jörn, I m not sure to understand. Do you think the IP
> clearance process is not adapted for submitting our contribution ?

In the end the big issue for UIMA developers is that we cannot retrain the
tagger without having the training data. Not be able to retrain means,
that we are not able to change the code much. So in the end that is a big
issue for us. I dealt with this kind of issues a lot over at OpenNLP and it
is just painful.

And even when we follow your description to retrain the models, do we
then have the right to publish it under AL 2.0 or do we need to go
through IP clearance
again, because the AL 2.0 publishing is an agreement between you and the
corpus copyright holder?

I think having an agreement which grants rights to the ASF to publish
the models trained on the
data under AL 2.0 is what we need, and it would also be nice if every
committer in the team could
get access to the data.

Anyway, hope to see you over at the OpenNLP mailing list.

Jörn

Re: Guidelines for a mutual contribution

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hello Everyone

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hello Nicolas,

2011/5/18 Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>

> Dear All,
>
> I come back one year later...
>
> To remind you, we used a French Treebank corpus
> (http://www.llf.cnrs.fr/Gens/Abeille/French-Treebank-fr.php) to train
> models for processing French with the HMM tagger addon.
> I first contacted you for some advices since we did not own the
> resource we used and we were not sure to be allowed to distribute our
> models under Apache license. We were discussing about with the
> resource owner and we though that an alternative way to distribute the
> models we trained could be to jointly submit the models.
>
> Eventually, we got the grant from the owner to distribute the models
> we built up under the Apache License v2.
>
> In short, we built up French models for part of speech (pos),
> morphological (mph) and function grammatical (fct) tagging, as well as
> lemmatization (lemma). We use the Hmm tagger to perform the various
> tagging. A recent patch has been submitted to turn the Hmm tagger into
> a less type system dependant tagger.
> See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-2110

as I said in my last comment it'd be also nice to see some documentation on
how you created the models so that more users can create models with it.

> Before submitting the models to the project, I have some new
> questions. As a researcher it is important for us that our work be
> cited by other researchers. In addition, the models are only a few
> files but they represent a substantial contribution for the French
> Natural Language Processing community.
>
> So I was wondering whether you still advise me to perform the IP
> clearance procedure or just to add a specific mention in the NOTICE
> file.

If you also plan to donate the models I think the IP clearance is the right
way both for UIMA and for you as a researcher.

> In the first case, could you find me an "appropriate volunter" for
> executing the IP Clearance processing?

I am working on the UIMA Addons RC2 so can't do it right now but, if no one
is available before that time, I could help you once UIMA Addons release is
done.

> Another "substantial" question... our model files takes about 5 Mo
> each (pos, mph and fct) except the lemma model file which takes 24 Mo.
> Alternatively we built up a merged model for pos, mph and fct which
> takes 6.9 Mo. Do you thing it may cause a problem if we submit all of
> them?

I don't see any issue with that sizes so, in my opinion, the models can all
be submitted separately.
Regards,
Tommaso

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Great!  Thanks for helping to build the French UIMA community :-).  -Marshall

Posted by Nicolas Hernandez <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.