Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> on 2012/11/26 09:06:31 UTC

Maven Core to Git

Kristian/Olivier,

What exactly is the issue with switching over the core to Git? I only know vaguely what the reasoning is because I happened to wander into IRC one day. I also see the Jenkins issue[1] referred to in the Infra issue[2] about the conversion but it's not clear what's happening there or if it will be fixed anytime soon. What exactly is the problem? And why doesn't this behaviour exhibit itself in some of the other Git repos we have being built under Jenkins? I see tons of other projects using Git and Jenkins so can we workaround anything specific we're doing?

[1]: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-15803
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5390

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2012-11-26 19:49, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2012, at 10:41 AM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> So in practical terms it all needs to be released, and the servers all updated?
>>
>> There is also
>> https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-15367
>> which went into Jenkins 1.492 that was released yesterday, that may or
>> may not be a factor in this depending who you talk to.
>>
>>> Can we just turn off the remote nodes for the time being and just run 1.5/1.6/1.7 on the Ubuntu node? Is that a valid work around? I would prefer to do that in the short term because getting this all this working doesn't seem like it's going to happen very quickly.
>>
>> Which ubuntu node would that be? There are 5 of them and I think they
>> are all slaves.
>
> Just run on one machine for the matrix of JDKs we care about if this prevents the build explosions.
>

>> Apart from these issues I proposed that we release a couple of our own
>> products using git, before we move the core over to git.
>
> We have already haven't we? Apart from that I've done hundreds of releases out of Git and it works fine. But for core I will take responsibility if the buck needs to stop somewhere. I just want to get it moved over  and work around any issues until the problems are solved.

Like I said, I don't know the current status on this. It might very well
be that we are there now.

>> Just so that we
>> have a good grasp of how a Maven release using git is done and get it
>> properly documented. I'm not up to date on the progress here though.
>> Would those of you that have done such releases please let us know?
>
> The release plugin works fine with Git.

I'm sure it does. But for git beginners like myself who has not done a
single release using git, we need a well documented release process for it.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
Agree. Shit happens, we'll deal with it. For now let's just lock it down to one machine. We can also just setup individual builds on the separate machines. No big deal.

jvz

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On the jenkins question, Why don't all the other Apache projects for
which I'm on the dev list suffer from this?

On the RM question, I don't think it's worth waiting. The core is the
thing we release least often. We've run a release or two on the
components we've already migrated, and whomever runs the first core
release from git can be sure to add notes to the doc.

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5390 has been updated to
keep a separate it repo.

The issue should be handled by infra  "real soon now".

Kristian

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

--
-----
Arnaud Héritier

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2012-11-26 20:18, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:
>> There is also
>> https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-15367
>> which went into Jenkins 1.492 that was released yesterday, that may or
>> may not be a factor in this depending who you talk to.
>
> Additionally, there is
> https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-6604 which was fixed in
> remoting
> 4 days ago. According to the issue text it renders the slaves
> "unusable". To which extent that makes the
> remote poller crash out is also unknown. But it's "known" that we have
> a *lot* of 6604 on the nodes,
> especially right after a restart. I am unsure what effect a single
> "bad apple" among the remote nodes
> has and to what extent we would detect it.
>

> Reading the jenkins code makes me quite sure that any build that is locked to
> 1 specific node will not encounter any of the network-down issues. I
> don't really understand
> how to get "assignedNode"
> (https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/blob/master/core/src/main/java/hudson/model/AbstractProject.java#L354)
> to be non-null but that should stop the random reallocations. I assume we could
> lock a few of the jobs down to given nodes and keep some open while we
> continue to track the problem ?
>

>> Apart from these issues I proposed that we release a couple of our own
>> products using git, before we move the core over to git. Just so that we
>> have a good grasp of how a Maven release using git is done and get it
>> properly documented. I'm not up to date on the progress here though.
>> Would those of you that have done such releases please let us know?
>
> I believe all wagon, surefire and scm have all been released from git,
> so I think we're in the clear on /that/ particular aspect.
>
> Personally I think we should go ahead and convert core too.

Thanks Kristian, that's all I wanted to hear. Please go ahead and convert.

Just remember to document any differences between svn and git along the way.

> Kristian

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Maven Core to Git

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.