Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com> on 2009/01/22 19:46:58 UTC

Random queries extremely slow

Hello. Our production servers are operating relatively smoothly most of the
time running Solr with 19 million listings. However every once in a while
the same query that used to take 100 miliseconds takes 6000. This causes out
health check to fail, and the server is taken out of service. Once the
server is put back in service, queries are back to their regular response
times. Is there anything we could do to stop this random slowness from
occurring?

Re: Random queries extremely slow

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.
Actually my issue might merit a seperate discussion as I did tuning by
adjusting the heap to different settings to see how it affected changed. It
really had no affect, as with jdk 1.6, garbage collection is parallel which
now should no longer interfere with requests during garbage collection which
holds true based on the tests we ran.

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.
It was actually our use of the field collapse patch. Once we disabled this
the random slow queries went away.

We also added *:* as a warmup query in order to speed up performance after
indexing.

Posted by sunnyfr <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oleg

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.

Posted by Alexander Ramos Jardim <al...@gmail.com>.
Use multiple boxes, with a mirroring delaay from one to another, like a
pipeline.

2009/1/22 oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>

> Well this probably isn't the cause of our random slow queries, but might be
> the cause of the slow queries after pulling a new index. Is there anything
> we could do to reduce the performance hit we take from this happening?
>

> Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> >
> > Here is one example: pushing a large newly optimized index onto the
> > server.
> >
> > Otis
> > --
> > Sematext -- http://sematext.com/ -- Lucene - Solr - Nutch

Alexander Ramos Jardim

Re: Random queries extremely slow

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com>.
The OS keeps recently accessed disk pages in memory. If another
process does a lot of disk access, like a backup, the OS might
replace the Solr index pages with that processes pages.

What kind of storage: local disk, SAN, NFS?

wunder

Posted by oleg_gnatovskiy <ol...@citysearch.com>.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.