Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Venkatesh Sangam <ve...@hotmail.com> on 2001/08/07 00:00:43 UTC

Block requests

Hi,

can anyone plese tell me how to block requests.
if the tomcat server is overloaded with requests can anyone plese tell me
how to block the requests and avoid the flooding of requests on the server

I am trying to achive the same writing a function preservice()
but it is not serving my purpose.
I am not able to block the requests

Please help

thanks
venkatesh

.......Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani

Venkatesh Sangam,
910 E, Lemon Street,
Apt #7,
Tempe, AZ, 85281
Ph:1-480-736-9392

Re: Block requests

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Venkatesh Sangam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can anyone plese tell me how to block requests.
> if the tomcat server is overloaded with requests can anyone plese tell me
> how to block the requests and avoid the flooding of requests on the server

It's hard to answer this without knowing exactly what type of
"blocking" you are trying to accomplish.  For example, Tomcat 4 has
request filter valves available, so that you can reject requests from
certain IP addresses or remote hostnames -- but Tomcat still has to
receive and process the request in order for it to recognize this.

If you want to prevent Tomcat from even being bothered by requests from
particular places, you'll need to implement it in hardware (with a
firewall) or equivalent software (like the tcpwrappers package in Linux)
that intercepts the request before Tomcat ever sees it.

For any solution, though, you need to be able to identify what kinds of
requests you're trying to block.

> venkatesh

Craig