Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Gagandeep Singh <ga...@paxcel.net> on 2010/10/13 07:42:27 UTC

NoSuchColumnFamily Exception

Recently I moved to HBase 0.20.6 version  and I am facing somewhat strange
problems.

I have 3 VMs cluster on 32 bit machines with HDFS 20.2. One is master and
other two are region servers. When I create 2 tables, they are created on
two different regions. I inserted 5 records manually from shell I find that
my table got split into two and is present on both the region servers. I
then tried to run my java application which first truncates the tables by
disabling, dropping and recreating tables but then I got following
exception.

org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.NoSuchColumnFamilyException:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.NoSuchColumnFamilyException: Column
family files does not exist in region
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion.checkFamily(HRegion.java:2587)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion.put(HRegion.java:1390)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion.put(HRegion.java:1363)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.put(HRegionServer.java:1783)

Not sure what is wrong. I searched on mail archives and found  this link -
http://www.listware.net/201004/hadoop-hbase-user/24572-regions-assigned-multiple-times-after-disabling-table.html
After reformatting my NameNode I tried to do everything from scratch but I
also got stuck in the problem mentioned in the listware link above.

Thanks,
Gagan

Re: NoSuchColumnFamily Exception

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
As per that thread, disabling and enabling tables is problematic in
0.20.  Do you need this facility evaluating hbase?  Did you do as that
thread suggests ensuring disable worked before moving on to disable
(by scanning .META. looking for presence of enable flag on each of
your two regions)?

Yours,
St.Ack