Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by antoine <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/22 02:54:18 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache modules question

Hello everyone ,

I have a project where i want to add a new phase between the content
generation
and the logging phase of a request.
In other words i want after the response is generated and ready to be
sent to the client
to manipulate the html produced code (do my stuff) and then send it to the
browser.

I have already read stuff on how to write apache2 modules but i
understood that modules
can only substitute other modules that are enabled in the standard faces
of a request processing
and not involve somehow a new phase.

My friend who works in the same project has done this with filters (i
think) but we are looking for
a faster way (maybe a new module enabled after the content generation).

Please tell me how to do that.

Sorry for bad english.

Regards,
Tony

Re: [users@httpd] Apache modules question

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
antoine wrote:
> Hello everyone ,
>
> I have a project where i want to add a new phase between the content
> generation
> and the logging phase of a request.
> In other words i want after the response is generated and ready to be
> sent to the client
> to manipulate the html produced code (do my stuff) and then send it to the
> browser.

That's called an output filter.
See http://www.apachetutor.org/dev/request for the brief overview,
then get the book for details of how to implement it (and of
why it would be hugely inefficient to make it a "new phase").

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] Apache modules question

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:54 PM, antoine <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My friend who works in the same project has done this with filters (i think)
> but we are looking for
> a faster way (maybe a new module enabled after the content generation).

I think anything but a filter is a complete dead end.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com