Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> on 2014/08/20 19:00:45 UTC

Intel XDK == Cordova IDE?

In case this is news to anyone else, Intel's XDK has been morphing
into a Cordova IDE over the past year (from their custom runtime,
which they now call "legacy build system").

Here's their overview:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/articles/using-the-cordova-for-android-ios-etc-build-option

Here's my tldr version:

It's an IDE built with CEF that:
- Uses Brackets as its editor (including it's live preview feature
that enables live code changes via DevTools API)
- Uses Ripple to emulate within the app
- Includes a visual UI designer that works it's own UI framework "App
Framework" (https://github.com/01org/appframework)
- Uses its own cloud build system to build for each platform (for free)
  - Also supports building chrome apps and web apps
  - Supports using Crosswalk
- Has a developer companion app call App Preview
(https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/app-preview-overview)
- Has a very nice Cordova Plugin UI
(https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/articles/adding-third-party-plugins-to-your-xdk-cordova-app)
- Supports remote update of your assets via AppMobi
(http://docs.appmobi.com/index.php/live-update/)
- NOT open source, and they haven't been involved at all in Cordova
development (besides the Crosswalk team helping us out a bit)
  - Haven't read through their developer license agreement, but we be
curious to know if there's any notables there.

Some other things:

Relevant to minSdk <preference>
https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/articles/cordova-for-android-build-options

iOS options that we should support:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/articles/cordova-for-ios-build-options

RE: Intel XDK == Cordova IDE?

Posted by "Lunev, Serge" <se...@intel.com>.
Actually I clicked "Send" too early. A few comments on Andrew's list:

- We use node-webkit, not CEF.
- We historically have 2 UI builder tools. One indeed uses Intel's App Framework. Another one (called App Designer) gives an additional choice of using Bootstrap, jQuery Mobile or Topcoat.
- XDK is not open source itself - true, but I do have hopes we'll start contributing to Cordova.
- Developer license essentially preserves ownership right with developer. We had a question at our support forum at some point which resulted in a nice readable description - https://forums.html5dev-software.intel.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5472