Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Nicolas MULLER <n....@nouvellemarque.com> on 2014/01/03 13:40:26 UTC

Question about database process for developpment

Hello,

I wish you a happy new year 2014.  After a long break and a new child, I try
to come back to roller source.

I dare to ask a dumb question : how do you do to keep database between two
start ?

At each run, I lost all data. It is hard to develop with embedded database.
Do you change to postgre or ???

I am trying to store images into database and it is hard to test it. I need
to create an account at each start.

For unit test, It is not a problem but for other parts ?

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Re: Question about database process for developpment

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
I just copy-and-paste the Roller WAR into an already-running Tomcat.
Sometimes I need to delete the Roller WAR and roller folder already
there (in that order) before putting the new one in (for some reason,
the auto-update doesn't function with Roller on Tomcat--prob some
configuration I am doing wrong...)  Or, from the app folder: mvn [clean
install] tomcat:redeploy should work fine providing you've done
necessary one-time configuration of your Maven setup (see:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/roller/trunk/app/pom.xml?revision=1554551&view=markup,
line 424.)  In the old days when working with SOAP web services on
Tomcat (not Roller) I would always use mvn clean install tomcat:redeploy
from a command-line window as it's so quick.

It won't be helpful for you because your UI is probably in French(*),
but to sanity-check (very minor) changes without manual testing, *after*
doing a mvn clean install build I may navigate to the it-selenium tests
folder and do an mvn clean install there -- that does a run of very
basic functionality (create a blog and create a blog entry) and quickly
ensures at least the commit isn't blowing up major parts of the
application.  (Other languages besides English don't yet work because
our tests perhaps incorrectly check screen labels instead of
lang-independent widget IDs in many cases.)  Over time, we can make our
Selenium tests test more and more functionality--but if what you've
changed isn't presently covered by the Selenium tests running the latter
won't help.

When might I use jetty:run?  Simple, if I'm checking the
initialization-with-a-brand-new-database-and-initial-blog-creation
stuff, because when I redeploy the WAR to Tomcat the database is already
sitting there with the old accounts, so the initial sign-up screens
aren't there.

As for having Tomcat read the WAR in Roller apps folder, I've never
tried that so don't know.

Cheers,
Glen

(*) Or it might - IIRC we haven't committed our (old) French-language
patch in JIRA yet, so you may be defaulting to the English UI anyway.

Posted by Nicolas MULLER <n....@nouvellemarque.com>.
Thanks Glen

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.