Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bob Hartung <rw...@mchsi.com> on 2006/02/13 05:24:31 UTC

Tomcat5.15 basic setup question

Hi all,
   I am new to java and Tomcat.
   I have the following situation:
      FC4 server behind PIX box.  Internal address 10.x.x.x.
      Outside address resolves to mirc.[website].[suffix]

   I have deployed a java application called MIRC and it works fine at
the server console.
   From the same network, I can access all functions with
http://10.x.x.x:80.
   From the outside world I can access the main page with
http://mirc.[website].[suffix]:8080

   The problem is when I select a function on the entry page that sends
me to another jsp in the application.  Because the application suggested
that i hard code the local address, 10.x.x.x, when I do try to access
another page the url is returned as
http://mirc.10.x.x.x.com:8080/mirc/Login, for instance.
mirc.10.x.x.x.com:8080 cannot resolve.

   I though of changing the address in server.xml to localhost:8080 but
that too will not resolve from the outside world.

   My question is were if the mass of documentation for Tomcat should I
start looking for the answer of how to configure this so it will work
both from within my office and from the outside world?

Thanks for pointers!

Bob

RE: Tomcat5.15 basic setup question

Posted by Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com>.
You might consider the necessity of using port 8080 as well - client-side
firewalls might block it, it is non-standard, and probably hard-coded
everywhere along side the IP address.  You can run Tomcat on port 80 (see
the archives of this list--it has been discussed recently), or front with
httpd (apache) and mod_proxy / mod_jk if (not strictly necessary, although
it is still widely done.)

Tim

Posted by Bob Hartung <rw...@mchsi.com>.
Doug,