Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chad Kellerman <ck...@alabanza.com> on 2005/02/07 18:55:56 UTC

Solaris 10 Tomcat 5.5.7

Tomcat Users,
   I thought I would test out Tomcat 5.5.7 on a Solaris 10 (Ultra 60) so see
how it performs.

Here is what I did.

edited /etc/profile
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java
export JAVA_HOME

exploded the tar ball in /opt/
then created a link to jakarta.XX.XX name tomcat

I started tomcat, it started but there are messages in the catalina.out file
that don't make sense.

catalina.out
SEVERE: Exception starting filter Compression Filter
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: compressionFilters.CompressionFilter

Then I tried to go to the example pages on http://localhost:8080/jsp-examples/
and recieved an error.

Feb 7, 2005 11:12:09 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Allocate exception for servlet
org.apache.jsp.jsp2.el.basic_002darithmetic_jsp
javax.servlet.ServletException: Wrapper cannot find servlet class
org.apache.jsp.jsp2.el.basic_002darithmetic_jsp or a class it depends on

I have java 1.5.0_01 and Tomcat 5.5 installed on a Fedora server and
everything works fine, but the java on the SOlaris server seems to mess
things up a bit.

Anyone else see this?  Anyone else have a fix?

Thanks,
Chad

Re: Solaris 10 Tomcat 5.5.7

Posted by Chad Kellerman <ck...@alabanza.com>.
On Monday February 7 2005 1:54 pm, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:55:56 -0500, Chad Kellerman
>
> <ck...@alabanza.com> wrote:
> > Tomcat Users,
> >    I thought I would test out Tomcat 5.5.7 on a Solaris 10 (Ultra 60) so
> > see how it performs.
> >
> > Here is what I did.
> >
> > edited /etc/profile
> > JAVA_HOME=/usr/java
> > export JAVA_HOME
> >
> > exploded the tar ball in /opt/
> > then created a link to jakarta.XX.XX name tomcat
> >
> > I started tomcat, it started but there are messages in the catalina.out
> > file that don't make sense.
> >
> > catalina.out
> > SEVERE: Exception starting filter Compression Filter
> > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: compressionFilters.CompressionFilter
> >
> > Then I tried to go to the example pages on
> > http://localhost:8080/jsp-examples/ and recieved an error.
> >
> > Feb 7, 2005 11:12:09 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve
> > invoke SEVERE: Allocate exception for servlet
> > org.apache.jsp.jsp2.el.basic_002darithmetic_jsp
> > javax.servlet.ServletException: Wrapper cannot find servlet class
> > org.apache.jsp.jsp2.el.basic_002darithmetic_jsp or a class it depends on
> >
> > I have java 1.5.0_01 and Tomcat 5.5 installed on a Fedora server and
> > everything works fine, but the java on the SOlaris server seems to mess
> > things up a bit.
> >
> > Anyone else see this?  Anyone else have a fix?
>
> Did you use GNU TAR to extract the .tar.gz ?

I used /usr/sfw/bin/gtar  but I guess that's still buggy.  I grabbed the zip
file and it worked like a charm.

thanks for the help.

Chad

Re: Solaris 10 Tomcat 5.5.7