Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org> on 2012/10/14 00:48:23 UTC

Apache OO General Questions

Couple of questions:

(Q) it was stated to me at one time that integrating changes between AOO
and LO would not be overly complicated (bad memory, but maybe it was Tom
Davis referencing the fact that Symphony was kept in sync with OOo). Are
any changes integrated between AOO and LO (in either direction) at this
time? I have been asked this question specifically (as it related to the
code clean-up effort in LO), and I generally say "I don't know, but I
don't think so".

(Q) AOO lists use addresses such as ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org and
ooo-api@incubator.apache.org. Assuming that AOO is taken from incubator
status, will incubator be dropped from the list names and will current
subscribers be ported to the new list?

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: Apache OO General Questions

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 10/13/2012 07:20 PM, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Andrew Douglas Pitonyak schrieb:
>>
>> Couple of questions:
>>
>> (Q) it was stated to me at one time that integrating changes between AOO
>> and LO would not be overly complicated (bad memory, but maybe it was Tom
>> Davis referencing the fact that Symphony was kept in sync with OOo).
>
> Such exchange is mainly a question of license. Currently form AOO to
> LO would be possible. But LO does not take changes, because (AFAIK) LO
> has not finished relicensing. From LO to AOO is currently only
> possible, of the author puts it under Apache License in addition.
>
>  Are
>> any changes integrated between AOO and LO (in either direction) at this
>> time?
>
> The patch about line caps (from Armin and me) is still waiting to be
> integrated into LO. Other parts, which I have integrated, are not
> coming from AOO or LO but from OOo time.
>
> Technically both directions are possible. But some work is necessary
> because LO removed German comments, some variable names and types
> changed, some content moved to other files and the name of the debug
> macros were changed. I'm no professional developer, so there might
> exist some tricks to make applying a patch smoother than it was for me.

There have been wide-spread changes in the LO code, and I thought that
it would be very difficult to keep things in sync. Some of those
wide-spread changes would be useful in AOO. Had not even thought of the
licensing issues (as mentioned by Pedro).

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 10/13/2012 07:07 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak
> <an...@pitonyak.org> wrote:
>> Couple of questions:
>>
>> (Q) it was stated to me at one time that integrating changes between AOO and
>> LO would not be overly complicated (bad memory, but maybe it was Tom Davis
>> referencing the fact that Symphony was kept in sync with OOo). Are any
>> changes integrated between AOO and LO (in either direction) at this time? I
>> have been asked this question specifically (as it related to the code
>> clean-up effort in LO), and I generally say "I don't know, but I don't think
>> so".
>>
> I've seen a couple of examples of:
>
> 1) A contributor contributing the same code (or similar code) to both
> AOO and LO.
>
> 2) LO taking a patch from AOO and integrating it into LO.
>
> I've also heard that LO is "rebasing" on AOO code in order to switch
> their license to MPLv3..  But I have not been able to figure out what
> this actually means and whether or not it involves source code.
>
> But it is probably safe to say that there is no widespread sharing of
> code between the two projects.  I have hopes that this will change in
> the near future.

Thanks Rob. I had seen no specific evidence that there was wide-spread
sharing, but figured that I was perhaps sufficiently not in the know.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 10/13/2012 09:07 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Andrew;

Had not even considered the License issue.....

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 10/14/2012 06:08 AM, Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Pedro,
>
> On Saturday, 2012-10-13 18:07:24 -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>
>> This said, the latest versions of LO introduce bugs that I can't
>> reproduce on AOO. AOO is very stable and we want to keep it that way.
> Thanks. The latest version of AOO also still didn't fix bugs that are
> fixed since long in LO and did not implement the features that LO has.
>
> What I want to say is that we're getting nowhere with pointing fingers.
>
>    Eike

I have bounced between the two depending on a particular bug or feature
at the point of installation.  As such, I had assumed that he meant that
there was one particular bug that was an issue for him. Been there, done
that, for both versions.

Posted by Michael Meeks <mi...@suse.com>.
Hi Alexandro,

On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 03:17 -0500, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 2:39 AM, Michael Meeks <mi...@suse.com>wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 16:05 -0500, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> > > Recently i reported a 7yr old bug on memory management, i am sure LibO
> > > also inherit that bug and they haven't fix it mainly because of the
> > > low level technical knowledge to devote to the performance project.
> >         We have certainly inherited lots of bugs though; perhaps
> > you have a bug number ?
>
> Headless memory leak #105191

	I was under the impression from your mail, that this was fixed in
Apache OpenOffice but that doesn't seem to be reflected in the bug
state.

	I have a personal bug / TODO to fix what (may well) be the same
underlying issue titled "Image caching / management is utterly
shambolic" - which has a number of duplicates.

	ATB,

		Michael.

Re: Apache OO General Questions

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Apache OO General Questions

Posted by Michael Meeks <mi...@suse.com>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Just IMHO;

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 10/18/12, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 14/10/2012 Eike Rathke wrote:
>> On Saturday, 2012-10-13 18:07:24 -0700, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>>> This said, the latest versions of LO introduce bugs that I can't
>>> reproduce on AOO. AOO is very stable and we want to keep it that way.
>> Thanks. The latest version of AOO also still didn't fix bugs that are
>> fixed since long in LO and did not implement the features that LO has.
>>
>> What I want to say is that we're getting nowhere with pointing fingers.
>
> Then what I'd like to say, speaking from my personal point of view of
> course, is that we could make millions of users happier by sharing
> bugfixes (not necessarily features).

I think people will be happy if we share features as well. That said,
I think there is a point on how many resources each project has.
Looking at LibO conference, there are many things being talked about
on Writer, Base and Calc that could be implemetned or fixed.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Apache OO General Questions

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
In my humble opinion it should be possible to have a shared code base,
shared bug fixing but separate features !!

When big companies like SAP, IBM and firmer SUN can do what, it should be
soo much easier for us, being all volunteers working with one goal, to make
quality software free of roalties being paid back to shareholders !!

I have worked a lot in these environments so comming back to earth, working
together is more often a question of people than of philosophies...so let
me put it like this:

Now we are a top level apache project, so let us (meaning the project
committee) be the ones who actively stretch out a hand and say "lets sit
down and have a pow-pow". Writing a lot of words does not reach that goal !

Please remember one thing, we are ALL on the same side fighting for a world
of royalty (share holder earnings) free software !! if you have to pick a
fight, down fight your brother in arms fight those who want your money.

have a nice night.
jan

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

> From: Eike Rathke [mailto:ooo@erack.de]

> What I want to say is that we're getting nowhere with
> pointing fingers.

yes, indeed.

Only this is not a one-way street.

For example, i will never forget what the FSF said against AOO:
http://www.fsf.org/news/openoffice-apache-libreoffice

and I'm watching very very attentively what the TDF is doing - in the past and
currently.

Yes, I am (since 8 years) only a simple member of the community and not a real
developer, but that's my opinion.

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: Apache OO General Questions

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

--- Dom 14/10/12, Eike Rathke ha scritto:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> On Saturday, 2012-10-13 18:07:24 -0700, Pedro Giffuni
> wrote:
>
> > This said, the latest versions of LO introduce bugs
> > that I can't
> > reproduce on AOO. AOO is very stable and we want to
> keep it that way.
>
> Thanks. The latest version of AOO also still didn't fix bugs
> that are fixed since long in LO and did not implement the features
> that LO has.
>
> What I want to say is that we're getting nowhere with
> pointing fingers.

I wasnt pointing fingers: I am just saying we cant really take patches blindly and expect them to work fine even if the licensing permits it.

I see that all days in other projects: in FreeBSD we can take patches from NetBSD and DragonFly without asking for permission, but patches that work there dont necessarily fix issues in FreeBSD.

As I see it neither AOO and LO will disappear and both projects will keep diverging and it is not necessarily a bad thing.

Pedro.

Re: Apache OO General Questions

Posted by Eike Rathke <oo...@erack.de>.
Hi Pedro,

 Support the FSFE, care about Free Software! https://fsfe.org/support/?erack

Re: Apache OO General Questions

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrew;

> (Q) it was stated to me at one time that integrating changes between AOO and LO
> would not be overly complicated (bad memory, but maybe it was Tom Davis
> referencing the fact that Symphony was kept in sync with OOo). Are any changes
> integrated between AOO and LO (in either direction) at this time? I have been
> asked this question specifically (as it related to the code clean-up effort in
> LO), and I generally say "I don't know, but I don't think so".

Some of it has happened in both ways. I won't talk about the LO "relicensing"
because I simply don't understand how it is supposed to work and ultimately
I am not a lawyer.

In the case of AOO. I have in my HD some code that authors have agreed to
contribute. The code will remain uncommitted because:

- In one case the code is big enough that I need a signed iCLA and while the
author has agreed he hasn't really had time lately.
- In another case the code is not big but I have requested the patches be
submitted through bugzilla to keep a record of the contribution (private
email is not trustable nowadays).

In both cases I can wait: the code is not critical, just nice to have.

I wish it were easier to contribute though: we cannot expect someone to go
over the trouble of porting and testing their patches twice. This said, the
latest versions of LO introduce bugs that I can't reproduce on AOO. AOO is
very stable and we want to keep it that way.

> (Q) AOO lists use addresses such as ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org and
> ooo-api@incubator.apache.org. Assuming that AOO is taken from incubator status,
> will incubator be dropped from the list names and will current subscribers be
> ported to the new list?

I would think so, yes.

Pedro.