Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/11 15:38:12 UTC

Reviews & commits (RTC/CTR), contributions, bylaws

Hi,

I've been a long-time contributor to Hive (5 or so years) and have been
voted in as a committer and I'm very grateful for that. I also understand
that my situation is different than most or lots of committers as I'm not
working for one of the big companies (Facebook, Cloudera, Hortonworks etc.)
where you can just ask someone sitting next to you to do a review.

I'd really like to contribute more than I do currently but the process of
getting patches in is painful for me (and other 'outside' contributors) as
it is hard to get reviews & things committed. The nature of most of my
patches is very minor[1] (fixing typos, checkstyle issues etc.) and I
understand that these are not the most interesting patches to review and
are easy to miss. I don't blame anyone for this situation as I totally
understand it and have been on the other side of this for other projects.

Is there anything we can do to make it easier for me and others like me to
contribute here? I absolutely see the value in having "cleaner" code and
when done in small batches it's usually not very disruptive either.

The bylaws currently require a +1 from a committer who has not authored the
patch. Knox for example has a different policy [2] where they distinguish
between major features and minor things which can be committed freely.

Hive could adopt something similar or like a middle ground. These are just
two suggestions:

1) Allow minor changes (up to the committers discretion) without requiring
an extra +1
2) Allow minor changes (up to the committers discretion) with Lazy approval
(i.e. wait 24 hours)

Sorry for the long rant but I'd love some feedback on this and am looking
forward to contributing more in the future.

Cheers,
Lars

[1] e.g. <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-12467>
[2] <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KNOX/Contribution+Process>

Re: Reviews & commits (RTC/CTR), contributions, bylaws

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lars,

I think this is a valid concern and your proposal sounds good to me.

Best regards

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

vote?

Thank you!

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the +1 Alan.

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.
2 days may be too short… One can submit all the patches on Friday night
and commit on Sunday ;)

Posted by Prasanth Jayachandran <pj...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@gmail.com>.