Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Shalish VJ <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2013/07/12 18:50:22 UTC

Hadoop property precedence

Hi,

    Suppose block size set in configuration file at client side is 64MB,
block size set in configuration file at name node side is 128MB and block size set in configuration file at datanode side is something else.
Please advice, If the client is writing a file to hdfs,which property would be executed.

Thanks,
Shalish.

Re: Hadoop property precedence

Posted by Shalish VJ <sh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Please help me on this. Its urgent.

________________________________
Posted by Shekhar Sharma <sh...@gmail.com>.
Check out how does the writing happens on HDFS...

When client issues the command   "hadoop fs -put local_source
hdfs_destination",  client contact the namenode that he wants to write and
then NameNode creates a blockID and ask three datanodes ( if replication on
the client side is set to 3) to host the replica. THis information is sent
to client and then client starts writing the data on to the data nodes by
forming pipe line..And then client write that much amount of data onto a
block which he has set.

Regards,
Som Shekhar Sharma
+91-8197243810

Posted by Shekhar Sharma <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shekhar Sharma <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shekhar Sharma <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop property precedence

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop property precedence

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop property precedence

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop property precedence

Posted by varun kumar <va...@gmail.com>.
What Shumin told is correct,hadoop configurations has been over written
through client application.

We have faced similar type of issue,Where default replication factor was
mentioned 2 in hadoop configuration.But when when ever the client
 application writes a files,it was having 3 copies in hadoop cluster.Later
on checking client application it's default replica factor has 3.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Shumin Guo <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I Think the client side configuration will take effect.
>
> Shumin
> On Jul 12, 2013 11:50 AM, "Shalish VJ" <sh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>>     Suppose block size set in configuration file at client side is 64MB,
>> block size set in configuration file at name node side is 128MB and block
>> size set in configuration file at datanode side is something else.
>> Please advice, If the client is writing a file to hdfs,which property
>> would be executed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shalish.

Varun Kumar.P

Re: Hadoop property precedence

Posted by varun kumar <va...@gmail.com>.
What Shumin told is correct,hadoop configurations has been over written
through client application.

We have faced similar type of issue,Where default replication factor was
mentioned 2 in hadoop configuration.But when when ever the client
 application writes a files,it was having 3 copies in hadoop cluster.Later
on checking client application it's default replica factor has 3.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Shumin Guo <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I Think the client side configuration will take effect.
>
> Shumin
> On Jul 12, 2013 11:50 AM, "Shalish VJ" <sh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>>     Suppose block size set in configuration file at client side is 64MB,
>> block size set in configuration file at name node side is 128MB and block
>> size set in configuration file at datanode side is something else.
>> Please advice, If the client is writing a file to hdfs,which property
>> would be executed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shalish.

Varun Kumar.P

Re: Hadoop property precedence

Posted by varun kumar <va...@gmail.com>.
What Shumin told is correct,hadoop configurations has been over written
through client application.

We have faced similar type of issue,Where default replication factor was
mentioned 2 in hadoop configuration.But when when ever the client
 application writes a files,it was having 3 copies in hadoop cluster.Later
on checking client application it's default replica factor has 3.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Shumin Guo <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I Think the client side configuration will take effect.
>
> Shumin
> On Jul 12, 2013 11:50 AM, "Shalish VJ" <sh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>>     Suppose block size set in configuration file at client side is 64MB,
>> block size set in configuration file at name node side is 128MB and block
>> size set in configuration file at datanode side is something else.
>> Please advice, If the client is writing a file to hdfs,which property
>> would be executed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shalish.

Varun Kumar.P

Re: Hadoop property precedence

Posted by varun kumar <va...@gmail.com>.
What Shumin told is correct,hadoop configurations has been over written
through client application.

We have faced similar type of issue,Where default replication factor was
mentioned 2 in hadoop configuration.But when when ever the client
 application writes a files,it was having 3 copies in hadoop cluster.Later
on checking client application it's default replica factor has 3.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Shumin Guo <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I Think the client side configuration will take effect.
>
> Shumin
> On Jul 12, 2013 11:50 AM, "Shalish VJ" <sh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>>     Suppose block size set in configuration file at client side is 64MB,
>> block size set in configuration file at name node side is 128MB and block
>> size set in configuration file at datanode side is something else.
>> Please advice, If the client is writing a file to hdfs,which property
>> would be executed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shalish.

Varun Kumar.P

Re: Hadoop property precedence

Posted by Shumin Guo <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shumin Guo <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Subroto <ss...@datameer.com>.
Hi Shalish,

The client side conf will take precedence. Further you can use the FileSystem API which can set the block size:
create(Path f, boolean overwrite, int bufferSize, short replication, long blockSize)

Cheers,
Subroto Sanyal

Posted by Subroto <ss...@datameer.com>.
Hi Shalish,

Posted by Subroto <ss...@datameer.com>.
Hi Shalish,

Posted by Subroto <ss...@datameer.com>.
Hi Shalish,

Posted by Shalish VJ <sh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Ru sure?
or have u ever tried it out.
Pls advice.

________________________________

Posted by Shalish VJ <sh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Ru sure?
or have u ever tried it out.
Pls advice.

________________________________

Posted by Shalish VJ <sh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Ru sure?
or have u ever tried it out.
Pls advice.

________________________________

Posted by Shalish VJ <sh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Ru sure?
or have u ever tried it out.
Pls advice.

________________________________

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kiran Dangeti <ki...@gmail.com>.
Shalish,

Posted by Shalish VJ <sh...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Raj K Singh <ra...@gmail.com>.
I think it will take 128MB of file size which is given in namenode config
file but nt sure not even try it.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Raj K Singh
http://www.rajkrrsingh.blogspot.com
Mobile  Tel: +91 (0)9899821370

Posted by Shumin Guo <gs...@gmail.com>.