Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Riyad Kalla <rk...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/09 03:50:31 UTC

Very impressive CouchDB story.

This is an aside and also a "you guys rock" to the CouchDB dev team... I
watched a talk by Benjamin Anderson at Meteor today:
http://www.dataversity.net/archives/6714?t=1320768580

where he talked about their experience with running CouchDB (via Cloudant)
for 2 years in production, scaling from what I imagine was 2 or 3 nodes to
a 14-node cluster. In the last year alone their traffic has grown 5x while
their Couch cluster has only grown 20% to cover that.

Benjamin is straight forward with some of the shortcomings they have had,
but the take-away from this that floored me and is a testament to what you
guys do... in all these years after all these 10s of terabytes of data,
they have never lost data or had downtime.

They just kept growing their cluster, adding nodes as needed and got back
to work.

No world-ending events, total cluster failures or total rebuilds. Couch
just happily chugged along, keeping track of data and smiling. (not
discrediting any world Cloudant put in here to make that happen, I just
don't know what it was).

He also specifically called out how the backend API to Couch has
(practically) not changed at all in the last 2 years, allowing them to
focus their development efforts on customer-facing features and not spend
time writing and rewriting backend persistence features as Couch grew and
released new versions.

To all of you committers that spend your nights and weekends on Couch, this
is a glowing testament to the hard decisions you have made.

Really great job guys.

-Riyad

Re: Very impressive CouchDB story.

Posted by Sean Copenhaver <se...@gmail.com>.
Yeah thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed the talk and will be passing it
around to some friends.

--
“The limits of language are the limits of one's world. “ - Ludwig von
Wittgenstein

"Water is fluid, soft and yielding. But water will wear away rock, which is
rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft and yielding
will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: what is
soft is strong." - Lao-Tzu

Re: Very impressive CouchDB story.

Posted by Jason Smith <jh...@iriscouch.com>.

--