Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nathan Hoh <na...@redback.com.au> on 2002/08/01 10:36:26 UTC

Problems using multiple Sendmail daemons on same machine

Hi,

I have a machine that is running 2 instances of Sendmail, one on the
normal SMTP port 25, and another on port 2121. Now most of the JSP pages
that send off email use the normal Sendmail on port 25, but some use the
other on port 2121 (don't ask me why, long story). In the pages that use
port 2121, I set the property "mail.smtp.port" to 2121 (ie.
props.put("mail.smtp.port", "2121"); ) and in the others, I leave them
to default to port 25. The strange thing is, if I first visit a page
that sends off an email on the normal port 25, it works fine (I know so
because I turn off the Sendmail instance that is running on port 2121)
and the email is delivered. Then when I start up the Sendmail that
listens on 2121 and visit a page that sends an email throught this 2121
port, it too works fine and the email is delivered. But, when I kill the
Sendmail process that's listening on port 2121 and revisit the same page
that should send email on the normal SMTP port 25, it throws an
exception saying it can't connect to port 2121.

I thought it might be because when I retrieve the default
javax.mail.Session object instance using Session.getDefaultInstance() it
keeps returning me the same instance of that Session object for the life
of the Tomcat container but when I tried using Session.getInstance()
instead to get a new Session object, it still does the same thing.

What's going on? Did anybody understand what I just said :) I'm
completely puzzled and out of ideas. HELP!!

Oh yeah, Tomcat v3.2.24, JavaMail 1.2, JDK1.3.1.

Thanks,
Nathan.