Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Adrian Dick <ad...@uk.ibm.com> on 2004/04/29 13:11:55 UTC

Use of -DUSE_LTDL compile flag

I have been compiling the Axis C++ client on Linux (Red Hat 9), and have
found the following:
I had been experiencing problems when linking the WSLD2Ws generated client
stubs, which I found could be resolved by removing -DUSE_LTDL from
AM_CPPFLAGS in /src/engine/client/Makefile.am and rebuilding the Axis C++
Client.  Having made this change I was able to successfully build and
execute the client.

Should this file be modified back in CVS? or somehow modified to exclude
this on certain variants of linux?  or something else?

_______________________________________
Adrian Dick (adrian.dick@uk.ibm.com)

Re: Use of -DUSE_LTDL compile flag

Posted by da...@opensource.lk.
Hi,
    At some time back Axis C++ started using ltdl libraries as a way of
dynamic loading mechanism that is plat form independant among unixes.
But that gave problems in linux and now Axis C++ has given it up and
using dl libraries again.
I think it is better if people using Axis C++ on other unixes write the
corresponding code for dll loading in their platform on HandlerLoader
module.

regds
damitha

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Actually I've been wondering about this as well. I guess this is using
part of the GNU Libtool package. What I don't understand is why this
needs to be built into the binaries rather than just being an aspect of
the build. Does anyone know enough about libtool to explain that?

Thanks
Paul