Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> on 2015/12/01 08:44:52 UTC

Re: Package Repositories

On 11/30/2015 10:14 PM, John Burwell wrote:
> Sebastian,
>
> As I mentioned in my initial message, the public ShapeBlue repositories [1] are noredist builds of release baselines with no additional patches or changes.  My understanding is that the project cannot officially distribute the noredist plugins due to inability of the community to distribute libraries required by these components.  If my understanding is correct, I don’t think a community managed package repos could contain packages with this components.

I agree. I don't think that the community build packages should have
noredist enabled. What any other repos do is not our 'problem'.

> I am +1 to the categories.  I am +1 to the making packages official project deliverables that are voted out.  Users clear prefer to install via packages.  It seems like applying the full attention of the community to test them would certainly a good thing for users.

Shall we ask for packages.cloudstack.org then?

Wido

Re: Package Repositories

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
> On Dec 1, 2015, at 9:27 AM, Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:44 AM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:
>
>>> As I mentioned in my initial message, the public ShapeBlue repositories
>> [1] are noredist builds of release baselines with no additional patches or
>> changes.  My understanding is that the project cannot officially distribute
>> the noredist plugins due to inability of the community to distribute
>> libraries required by these components.  If my understanding is correct, I
>> don’t think a community managed package repos could contain packages with
>> this components.
>>>

>> I agree. I don't think that the community build packages should have
>> noredist enabled. What any other repos do is not our 'problem'.
>>

> ​So will we 'clean' apt-get.eu?​

Whatever you do, update the website so that it is properly documented.
Right now part of the confusion is that we don’t know which provides what exactly.

Re: Package Repositories

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

RE: Package Repositories

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks Daan,
So, I believe that the community should produce noredist packages and then ShapeBlue won't need to maintain a repo at all.

[ShapeBlue]<http://www.shapeblue.com>
Paul Angus
VP Technology   ,       ShapeBlue

d:      +44 2036170528<tel:+44%202036170528>     |      t:      @cloudyangus<te...@cloudyangus>   |      m:      +44 7711418784<tel:+44%207711418784>

e:      paul.angus@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com>        |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

        53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London WC2N 4HS UK

[cid:imagebd3716.png@ee734145.4498fa12]

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

RE: Package Repositories

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
We're going in a bit of a circle here.
My experience has been that the vast majority of users want the noredist version. If the consensus is that the 'community created' packages should be/must be OSS (something which I think only harms the project) then the download links and documentation should say so very clearly, state what features are not in the OSS packages and state where the noredist packages can be found.

The documentation can simply state that they must use a third party repo for the noredist featues with a link to the section in http://cloudstack.apache.org/downloads.html where those links are.

Ideally the community packages would be noredist and then everyone is happy and ShapeBlue don't need to maintain a repo.