Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Josh G <jo...@gfunk007.com> on 2002/08/29 07:47:29 UTC

Database write delay?!?!?!?

Hi,
	After banging my head against it all day, I've discovered that _somewhere_
between my servlet code and the filesystem, writes to the database are being
cached. However, reads are not coming from the cache. I'm getting around the
problem at the moment with a simple window.setTimeout in JS instead of
response.sendRedirect(), but this is inelegant and I'd like to lose it.

Has anybody else come across this problem? Is it something I'm doing wrong?
Please tell me it's something I'm doing wrong :-)

Baffled,
-Josh

Re: Database write delay?!?!?!?

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Wild guess, but it sounds like you are using a database pool and the
connections that perform updates are not doing commits. Depending on how
the connections are set up - other connections won't see the change
until a commit. (Or you change driver settings - don't ask me what they
are I don't know, I never had to worry about this)

Re: Database write delay?!?!?!?

Posted by "Peter T. Abplanalp" <pt...@psaconsultants.com>.

Re: Database write delay?!?!?!?

Posted by Josh G <jo...@gfunk007.com>.
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 9:22 am, Peter T. Abplanalp wrote:

> tired?  i don't think that is tired.  it still makes me chuckle;
> although, i've heard that M$ has doubled their mean time to failure so
> i suppose the updated version is to reboot once a day.  ;-)

Oh crap. My XP box at home stays up for weeks at a time, i only reboot when
i'm messing with stuff and need to install a new/updated driver...

> <donning flame retardant suit>
>
> as an side and on a totally different note:  does outlook express
> handle threading while outlook does not?  how is that possible?  i ask
> because it is annoying to me to be unable to thread some of the
> messages on this list.  i like to have all my related emails together.

Nah, OE doesn't thread... But Kmail threads nicely :-)

Re: Database write delay?!?!?!?

Posted by "Peter T. Abplanalp" <pt...@psaconsultants.com>.

RE: Database write delay?!?!?!?

Posted by Mike Jackson <mj...@cdi-hq.com>.
There's either a memory leak or a connection leak in the
ODBC bridge.  I'm not sure which.  I have a site using sql
server w/jrun and prior to switching to a new interface
(other than the odbc-jdbc bridge) I was seeing my handles
increasing (and connections) but never subsiding.  Eventually
after a day to a week I'd have to reboot to free up the
resources.  And the machine would hang sometimes if I didn't
get to it first.  What it depended on was how many people
had been booked in the system (it's a log for a jail).  After
changing drivers to a pure jdbc sql server interface I haven't
had to reboot in a couple of monthes, and I don't have the
resource problems that I was having.

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson