Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/12/15 00:10:32 UTC

What does "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)" mean?

Hi,

So I'm wondering based on some questions being asked around in some forums,
not all within the ASF, what is the legal statement meant to represent?  Is
it the ownership of code, that's how I've understood it.

John

Re: What does "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)" mean?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
For an arbitrary github repo, it could be a simple slip-up: they should
be using the other header (from the end of the license page) which does
not mention the foundation.

(I found it confusing when starting that the license mentions this text
... then the header text for ASF projects is different.)

     Andy

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
> It means that the ASF has been granted rights to the software under various
> contributor licenses (ICLA, CCLA, clause 5 of the Apache license). I'd avoid
> using the word 'transfer' to describe the action as that implies that the
> original owner has somehow decreased the rights they have to the software.
>
> I don't believe the clause on its own grants any kind of license. It feels
> to me that someone can put "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
> under one or more contributor license agreements" on the top of their code
> in GitHub, but if there isn't some form of contribution license between the
> ASF and that someone, then it's just a wrong statement.

FWIW: this is my interpretation as well: IOW this has to be a
transaction. Not only
you need to indicate your intent to license it out to ASF, but the ASF
has to agree
to reciprocate. For new code bases and sizable code donations to
existing projects
that reciprocation is an accepted SGA. For incremental contributions
it happens to
be, at least in my opinion, a combination of ICLA and the fact that
you're pushing
to an ASF controlled infrastructure.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: What does "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)" mean?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
It means that the ASF has been granted rights to the software under various
contributor licenses (ICLA, CCLA, clause 5 of the Apache license). I'd
avoid using the word 'transfer' to describe the action as that implies that
the original owner has somehow decreased the rights they have to the
software.

I don't believe the clause on its own grants any kind of license. It feels
to me that someone can put "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation
(ASF) under one or more contributor license agreements" on the top of their
code in GitHub, but if there isn't some form of contribution license
between the ASF and that someone, then it's just a wrong statement.

Also interesting is the older Apache 1.1 world where folk on Sourceforge
would put Copyright Apache Software Foundation at the top of their code.
Lots of folk were giving gifts to us, but as we weren't accepting them
they, presumably, weren't really owned by Apache.

Hen

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
In that specific case it's very clear.
That pieces of code have been originally written at the ASF from ASF committers and was about to get extracted into a new module at the ASF (geronimo) before it was shut down by someone...

So no, that 'licensed to the ASF' is exactly as it was intended. There is no room for any other interpretation as the original authors intended it exactly that way.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:40 AM Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> from some podling/project?
>

> Ha... wish it were that simple.
> I'm asking because a community I'm working with.. that just went to
> Eclipse Foundation... has a bunch of code in it that says "Licensed to the
> Apache Software Foundation (ASF)" as its header.  I made the statement
> "that doesn't look right" and the response received (from an eclipse
> representative) was that it was an implicit licensing of the work under the
> Apache License, v2.  That doesn't sound quite right to me, but the
> statement hat it's an implicit license grant makes more sense.
>

> Helps  a lot to include the actual text btw and not just a reference.
>
> ie) Whether it was the Licensed to text, or the full Apache source header.
>
> Also if it's about a specific issue, talking about the specific issue is
> better than generics :) Sounds like the issue has been resolved.

More or less, resolved.  For what its worth, it was verbatim what is
treated as the normal ASF code header.

/*
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
 * contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed with
 * this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
 * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
 * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
 * the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 *     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * limitations under the License.
 */

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Alex,

Yes, "ownership" is the wrong term to use here.  My fault.

John

From: "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>>
Date: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 7:39 PM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <le...@apache.org>>