Posted to dev@atlas.apache.org by Graham Wallis <gr...@uk.ibm.com> on 2018/06/18 15:44:26 UTC

Deleting entities and relationships

Hi Madhan

Could you please look at the following and tell me whether the following
look like sensible requirements for Atlas?

To support the OMRS interface, I would like to be able to:
soft delete an entity/relationship - this can fail if Atlas is configured
only for hard-deletes.
hard delete (purge) an entity/relationship - this is needed even when
Atlas is configured for soft deletes.
restore (un-delete) an entity/relationship that was soft-deleted
be able to purge (hard delete) an entity/relationship that was already
soft-deleted.
inquire whether a delete will be soft or hard (before issuing the delete)
- I guess being able to safely inspect the configuration would b an option
here, but an API might be better.
find out whether an entity/relationship was soft- or hard-deleted after
the delete operation. For this I could just try to retrieve the
entity/relationship but it would be neater to known from the return value.
 I don't think the EntityMutationResponse includes that detail. I know the
requestContext is updated to include the deleted entities but that seems
to be before the delegation to either the soft or hard delete handler, so
I suspect it cannot indicate whether the delete was ultimately soft or
hard). I'm not sure how I would get that information that for
relationships.

Best regards,
  Graham

Graham Wallis
IBM Analytics
Internet: graham_wallis@uk.ibm.com
IBM Laboratories, Hursley Park, Hursley, Hampshire SO21 2JN
Tel: +44 7741 379735

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.