Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2009/05/21 10:10:23 UTC

[POLL] trunk -=phoenix +=spring/OSGi

Robert think there is no consensus on moving away from phoenix towards
another specific container.

As I don't remember who is against such a move in trunk I'm starting
this thread.

Is anyone against the removal of phoenix from trunk towards the use of a
 spring+OSGi solution (like Felix Karaf, formerly ServiceMix Kernel)?

Stefano

Re: [POLL] trunk -=phoenix +=spring/OSGi

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Same here,

Norman

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On 5/21/09, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Robert think there is no consensus on moving away from phoenix towards
>> another specific container.
>>
>> As I don't remember who is against such a move in trunk I'm starting
>> this thread.
>>
>> Is anyone against the removal of phoenix from trunk towards the use of a
>>  spring+OSGi solution (like Felix Karaf, formerly ServiceMix Kernel)?
>
> 1. AIUI Danny and Noel were strongly opposed to offering Spring as the
> manlin deployment

This is a poll, they should talk for themselves ;-)
I'd like to know if they are *against* this or if they simply prefer
something else but are not against this.

> 2. I don't believe that we have the development capacity at this time
> to do pure OSGi

I agree. But you insisted that there was no consensus, so I wanted to
check our community.

I still don't know if we simply lack developers or we still lack
community behaviours, agreement, procedures, meritocracy.

> 3.Bernd's clever spring deployment is Phoenix based. I doubt we have
> the development capacity to create a pure Spring deployment at this
> time.

Well, it is not really phoenix based. It use spring to link avalon
components. In order to reproduce some behaviour from phoenix it uses
some phoenix library.
It is a wrapper using some library from phoenix (mainly spice
libraries), not phoenix itself.
You know better than me that much libraries from phoenix epoch branched
to generic utility libraries. Some ended in the "apache-commons",
something else to project outside apache.

I won't consider a big issue to keep relying on some spice libraries or
other libraries from phoenix while we step forward.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 5/21/09, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert think there is no consensus on moving away from phoenix towards
> another specific container.
>
> As I don't remember who is against such a move in trunk I'm starting
> this thread.
>
> Is anyone against the removal of phoenix from trunk towards the use of a
>  spring+OSGi solution (like Felix Karaf, formerly ServiceMix Kernel)?

1. AIUI Danny and Noel were strongly opposed to offering Spring as the
manlin deployment

2. I don't believe that we have the development capacity at this time
to do pure OSGi

3.Bernd's clever spring deployment is Phoenix based. I doubt we have
the development capacity to create a pure Spring deployment at this
time.

Robert

Posted by Guillermo Grandes <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hello Again (after 3 years), I like +1 OSGi/Felix idea :-)

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
I'm not really active at the moment, but I think without moving to
some "newer" container we will not be able to attract any new
committer soon :-/

Just my 2 cents..

So I'm +1 to move to something new..

Bye,