Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by "Plotka, Bartlomiej" <ba...@intel.com> on 2015/11/10 16:15:56 UTC

RE: Custom python executor with Docker

Hi All,

I can see there are many use cases for extending Docker tasks with some pre/post work.

In our solution we want to prepare and attach some volumes (e.g ceph volumes) to Docker. As you know we cannot (easily) attach a volume to the running Docker, so we need pre script for preparing & attaching in one task. Unfortunately, we also need to clean-up these volumes and it seems there is not any “slavePostLaunchDockerHook” available now in Mesos.

We’ve developed short script for running such tasks using common Mesos Containerizer and without any hook module in Mesos. We can just put it in the Marathon “command” parameter. Do you think such created Docker container will have limited cpu shares & memory (using Mesos resources)?

Here is pseudo-bash code:
#!/bin/bash

function cleanup {{
  docker rm <docker_name>;
 <clean up volumes>
}}

trap cleanup SIGKILL SIGSTOP SIGHUP SIGINT SIGTERM;

<prepare volumes>

We are aware that there wouldn’t be any sandbox support and any other Docker Containerizer features. However, our main concern is about cgroups… We are not sure if our newly created Docker (via this script) will inherit our task’s cgroups and as a result will limit memory, cpus via default Mesos Task’s resource parameters.

Anyone knows the answer?

As far as I understand without  special configuration ‘Docker run’ somehow pass the ‘run’ command to the docker daemon so we don’t have control of container cgroup…

Kind Regards,
Bartek Plotka (bplotka)