Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Pierre-Yves Ritschard <py...@spootnik.org> on 2012/01/10 23:19:12 UTC

slow producing on ec2

Hi,

One of my cluster runs on ec2 and I noticed that I have rather slow
throughput, less than 500 per second. I isolated the trouble on the
following setup

1 producer instance (m1.large)
5 consumer instances also running a broker (m2.xlarge)
1 zookeeper instance (m1.large)

I am using a sync producer and have 60 partitions.

On my local box, with everything running I would several thousand per second.

Re: slow producing on ec2

Posted by Felix GV <fe...@mate1inc.com>.
One order of magnitude of difference sounds about right, though, no?

I don't know. I'm by no means a Kafka expert and we don't know much about
the other variables of your situation, so it's hard to tell (at least for
me) if there could be another explanation...

--
Felix

Re: slow producing on ec2

Posted by Pierre-Yves Ritschard <py...@spootnik.org>.
Surely,

Re: slow producing on ec2

Posted by Felix GV <fe...@mate1inc.com>.

Re: slow producing on ec2

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
The majority of the problems we have seen have been due to i/o bottlenecks
on the server. iostat will uncover these, though if you aren't familiar
with it you may need to read through some docs. If iostat show high mb/sec,
high number of operations (reads or writes) per second or high service time
that is likely the issue.

-Jay

Re: slow producing on ec2

Posted by Pierre-Yves Ritschard <py...@spootnik.org>.