Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Kenneth P. Turvey" <kt...@squeakydolphin.com> on 2006/03/23 21:52:27 UTC

Tracking vendor sources

Re: Tracking vendor sources

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
There is, of course, a section on vendor branches in the book, but
since you're already using the terminology "vendor branch" I presume
you've already read that.

I keep vendor branches of several tools we use at work, like the
MediaWiki. I use the svn_load_dirs.pl script to keep /vendor/
mediawiki up to date with respect to the current released version of
MediaWiki. I also keep our version in /tools/mediawiki. Initially
this was created by copying the then-current version of /vendor/
mediawiki to /tools/mediawiki, and after that it has been kept up to
date by merging changes from /vendor/mediawiki into it. And I can
also apply any patches I want to /tools/mediawiki which are either
retained when upgrading to new official versions, or marked as
conflicts. Sometimes I report a bug and a fix, and apply the fix
directly to /tools/mediawiki, and when the next official version
comes around, they've fixed it in a different way, so I get a
conflict. In that case I can either deal with the conflict normally,
or I can first undo my local fix before merging in the new version to
avoid the conflict entirely.

I guess the bottom line is to keep a pristine copy of whatever you're
going to use as your baseline in /vendor/foo and then keep a copy
with your modifications and local patches somewhere else.

Re: Tracking vendor sources

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:

> I've pretty much decided that I'm going to have to start using a
> custom kernel under Ubuntu (Linux) for various reasons that I won't
> bother you with now. Since I'm going to have to use a custom kernel I
> don't see any point in not keeping up with developments in the stable
> version of the kernel and the various patches that I will need.  This
> is where I'm a bit confused on how to use subversion to solve this
> problem.
>
> The issue is that I want to use multiple vendor branches to keep the
> sources in.  That's where things start getting a bit messy.  Some of
> the vendor sources are distributed as patches to specific versions of
> the kernel.  I'm not sure how to organize this under subversion so I
> can update the patches as development proceeds along on them, merge
> them altogether with some version of the kernel (not necessarily the
> one they were distributed for) and maintain any of my own custom
> changes in trunk.
>
> Is there a standard way to solve this problem.  I understand that the
> patch files can be checked in just as another file, but this just
> doesn't seem like the way to handle this.  Shouldn't a patch really
> be applied on some branch in the repository?

I set up a "tagname" for the code from a vendor, then "tagname-vendor" for
the tarballs and patches from that vendor involved in creating the tag. You
can do the same with branches.