Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Qingshan Xie <xi...@yahoo.com> on 2005/09/13 08:07:56 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache child heap size grew to 230 MB

Hello,

I have an Apache-2.0.52 installed on a Solaris 8 host.
 It is configured to be a worker MPM.  Usually Apache
child's RSS is around ~14 MB.  However sometimes it
grew to ~230 MB.  after run the command
"/usr/proc/bin/pmap pid#", it prompted that, the heap
size of the child is around 230 M.
00084000 229072K read/write/exec     [ heap ]

After that, the child never released its heap or the
memory it holds.  I suspect there is a memory leak but
not sure how to trace it.

Could some one shed some light on it?
Appreciate!
Q.Xie

Yahoo! for Good

Re: [users@httpd] Apache child heap size grew to 230 MB

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 9/13/05, Qingshan Xie <xi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have an Apache-2.0.52 installed on a Solaris 8 host.
>  It is configured to be a worker MPM.  Usually Apache
> child's RSS is around ~14 MB.  However sometimes it
> grew to ~230 MB.  after run the command
> "/usr/proc/bin/pmap pid#", it prompted that, the heap
> size of the child is around 230 M.
> 00084000 229072K read/write/exec     [ heap ]
>
> After that, the child never released its heap or the
> memory it holds.  I suspect there is a memory leak but
> not sure how to trace it.

This is essentially the same problem as the one I just responded to
for win32.  The answer is the same: figure out what requests are
causing problems by tracking memory usage per process over time and
correlating that with the access_log or server-status display.

Joshua.