Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by chad kellerman <ck...@alabanza.com> on 2002/06/20 14:40:28 UTC

newbie question.

Good day to everyone,

   I have a bit of a newbie questions.  I am using Red HAt 6.2 tomcat 4.0.3
with mod_webapp with Virtual Hosts.

   I tried to compile a simple hello world servlet.  I did not have the
classpath to the servlet.jar file in /usr/local/tomcat/common/lib so I had to
include that option in my javac line.  ie.

javac -classpath /usr/local/tomcat/common/lib HelloServlet.java

  It compiled with now errors.

First question, is there a way I can test to make sure this servelet is
compiled cor4ectly on the command line?

   I am able to pull up all jsp pages that I have written correctly in my
webapps directory.  (Virtual Host)

   But when I try to call up my HelloServlet I get a http status 404 error
The funny thing is that the age has html source in it.  It does not show as a
web page but  but as one line html code.

    My httpd.conf looks like this:

<VirtualHost test-domain.com>
User test
Group test-domaingrp
ServerName test-domain.com
ServerAdmin webmaster@test-domain.com
DocumentRoot /home/test/test-domain-www
TransferLog /home/test/test-domain-logs/access-log
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/test/test-domain-www/cgi-bin/
WebAppConnection conn1 warp localhost:8008
WebAppDeploy .   conn1    webapps
WebAppDeploy test.war  conn1    webapps/gotc
</VirtualHost>

and my server.xml for the virtual hosts file looks like this:

<!-- define all non-secure virtual hosts below -->
                        <Host className =
"org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpHost"
                          name="tomcat-test.gotc.net"
                          debug="0"
                          appBase="/home/gotc/tomcat-test-www/webapps"
                          unpackWARs="false" >

                             <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
                                directory="/home/gotc/tomcat-test-logs"
                                prefix="access-log"
                                pattern="common"/>

                             <Context path="manager" docBase="manager"
debug="0" privileged="true"/>
                             <Context path="webapps" docBase="webapps"
debug="0" reloadable="true"/>
                        </Host>

  I thought if I put WebAppDeploy .   conn1    webapps in my Virtual Host
section I could call anything from my webapps directory.

I guess I am wrong.

Is there anyone that can help me??

Thanks you in advance.

--chad