Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Tatu Saloranta <co...@yahoo.com> on 2006/09/29 20:30:08 UTC

Re: [HttpCore][HttpAsync][POLL] Java 1.5 dependency for HttpCore NIO and eventually HttpAsync?

--- Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have been quietly working on the NIO based client
> in HttpCore NIO and
> kind of missed java.util.concurrent primitives a lot
> in the process of
> it.
>
> How would everyone feel about possibility of using
> Java 1.5 for HttpCore
> NIO (and possibly HttpAsync as it would also benefit
> greatly from using
> java.util.concurrent code instead of home brewed
> sync primitives)?

At this point in time, I would say "go for it". It is
new component, and would have clear benefits.

-+ Tatu +-

Re: [HttpCore][HttpAsync][POLL] Java 1.5 dependency for HttpCore NIO and eventually HttpAsync?

Posted by Sam Berlin <sb...@gmail.com>.
At the very least, there needs to be a 1.4.1 minimum requirement for
NIO.  (1.4.0 had different behavior for how a selector responds to
write interest -- it uses edged-triggered behavior [see:
http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html#nb.edge ] on some OS's and
level-triggered on others.  1.4.1 made it level-triggered everywhere.)

Sam