Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2022/10/25 15:51:32 UTC

November release round

Hi all,

I've just seen the heads up from the OpenSSL project that there will be
a 3.0.7 release on 2022-12-01 that will address a critical
vulnerability. We won't know the details of the vulnerability until the
release announcement. Given that it may trigger a Tomcat Native release
my current thinking is:

- prep for November releases as normal
- review the OpenSSL issue once public
- roll a Tomcat Native release if necessary
- update to the new Tomcat Native release of there is one
- roll the Tomcat releases

Do we want to pick up an updated migration tool as well?

Mark

Re: November release round

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 2:40 AM Han Li <li...@apache.org> wrote:

> > 2022年11月2日 00:19,Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> 写道:
> >
> > I've just read the OpenSSL announcement. The issue has been downgraded to critical but we are going to need to new Tomcat Native release. There are a couple of stack overflow bugs in certificate verification so Tomcat could be accepted via CLIENT-CERT.
> >
> > Where are we on the migration tool. I haven't been following that closely. Is the repo ready for a release?
> Yes, I think it’s ready. ;)

+1

Remy

Re: November release round

Posted by Han Li <li...@apache.org>.

Re: November release round

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Mark,
>
> On 11/1/22 12:19, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> I've just read the OpenSSL announcement. The issue has been downgraded
>> to critical but we are going to need to new Tomcat Native release.
>> There are a couple of stack overflow bugs in certificate verification
>> so Tomcat could be accepted via CLIENT-CERT.
>
> s/accepted/affected/

Tx.

> I've been following this as well, and I agree that we need a flurry of
> releases. It's too bad we decided to bundle libtcnative.dll with Tomcat
> releases. *NIX users don't have to wait for a release...

Neither do Windows users. They just have to build from source like their
Unix colleagues.

> I think we should have an immediate VOTE on a tcnative release which
> includes an updated statically-linked Windows DLL. Because there are no
> code changes (?) since the last tcnative release... can we simply
> fast-forward to a release-by-acclamation? ASF probably says no to that. :/

The VOTE thread is on the way. I'm currently travelling so things are a
little tricker / slower than usual but I expect to get the VOTE thread
out in the next hour or so.

We can end the VOTE whenever we like. If we have at least 3 +1 PMC votes
and more PMC +1 votes than -1 votes then we can release. The 72 hours is
a guideline / very strong recommendation but if we have a good reason
for doing something else that is fine. And security is generally
accepted as a good reason for a shorter vote. If we had everyone lined
up ready to VOTE, the whole thing could be over in a couple of minutes.

Mark

Re: November release round

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

Re: November release round

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: November release round

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: November release round

Posted by Han Li <li...@apache.org>.

> 2022年10月25日 23:51,Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> 写道:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've just seen the heads up from the OpenSSL project that there will be a 3.0.7 release on 2022-12-01 that will address a critical vulnerability. We won't know the details of the vulnerability until the release announcement. Given that it may trigger a Tomcat Native release my current thinking is:
>
> - prep for November releases as normal
> - review the OpenSSL issue once public
> - roll a Tomcat Native release if necessary
> - update to the new Tomcat Native release of there is one
> - roll the Tomcat releases
>
> Do we want to pick up an updated migration tool as well?
Sure, I have merged the PR and so far everything seems to be OK, and it’s indeed faster.

Han