Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by shane knapp ☠ <sk...@berkeley.edu> on 2021/07/28 16:56:12 UTC

Re: please read: current state and the future of the apache spark build system

3 months later, i have some updates!

TLDR1:   we're shutting jenkins down at the end of 2021.

> this is still the goal, exact shutdown date TBD.

> long term (until EOY):
> * decide what the future of spark builds and releases will look like
>   - do we need jenkins?

  - if we do, who's responsible for hosting + ops?

this looks like github actions + some as-of-yet-tbd k8s solution for
integration tests.

> medium term (in 6 months):

* prepare jenkins worker ansible configs and stick in the spark repo

this is done:
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/master/dev/ansible-for-test-node

> * train up brian shiratsuki (cced) to help w/ops tasks and upgrades over
> the next ~6m

this is ongoing, and we now have reasonable monitoring!

> * get to all of the python version, library installation, etc etc jira
> requests
>
> i think i've knocked out most of these.

> short term(weeks):
> * bring up additional workers
>   - finish hardware/system level repairs on the bare metal
>   - see above, re k8s jira
> * stabilize cluster
>   - recent jenkins LTS upgrade broke the web GUI
>   - finish deploying monitoring/alerting
>   - this hardware is OLD and literally falling over, so we have lots of
> random disk and ram failures.  it's literally whack-a-mole and each trip to
> the colo to repair literally takes a full day
>
> we're generally doing alright w/all of these:  the hardware has been
pretty stable, the jenkins administrative GUI is still broken (but at least
i can hack the xml on the bare metal), and we've got 8 workers up and
running.

i'll be sending out another email to this list soon regarding the impending
jenkins 'freeze'.

shane
--
Shane Knapp