Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Michael Kandall <ka...@gol.com> on 2003/11/14 21:17:33 UTC

jmeter-server: Bad call to remote host

I am trying to get started with remote measurement.

When running jmeter in remote mode, the client says "Bad call to remote
host".
Errors in the server-side log file are below.

jmeter-server is not registering with rmiregistry?

.  $JMETER_HOME/bin/jmeter-server is executed on the server.
.  Client has host or ip set for remote_hosts=.
.  Full path names are used, so the .jar should have been located
   from the jmeter-server script, and running the script in trace
   mode shows CLASSPATH is ok.
.  Java release is J2re1.4.2_02 on the server, and some version of
   1.4.2 on the client.   jmeter release the same on both ends.

Any ideas?

Mike
----

11/15/2003 4:58:11 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Version 1.9.1
11/15/2003 4:58:36 ERROR - jmeter.gui:  java.rmi.NotBoundException:
JMeterEngine
	at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl.lookup(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Skel.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.oldDispatch(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(Unknown Source)
	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(Unknown
Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
	at
sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.exceptionReceivedFromServer(StreamRemoteC
all.java:247)
	at
sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java:223)
	at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.lookup(Unknown Source)
	at java.rmi.Naming.lookup(Naming.java:84)
	at
org.apache.jmeter.engine.ClientJMeterEngine.<init>(ClientJMeterEngine.java:8
4)
	at
org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.RemoteStart.doRemoteInit(RemoteStart.java:200)
	at org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.RemoteStart.doAction(RemoteStart.java:113)
	at
org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.ActionRouter.performAction(ActionRouter.java:11
8)
	at
org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.ActionRouter.access$000(ActionRouter.java:80)
	at org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.ActionRouter$1.run(ActionRouter.java:99)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:178)
	at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.ja
va:201)
	at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java
:151)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)

RE: jmeter-server: Bad call to remote host

Posted by Michael Kandall <ka...@gol.com>.
It turned out to be a software firewall rule preventing connections
from the primary address to the primary address.   The other
required system software uses localhost for local connections,
so this had not been configured.

Btw, jmeter-server has a shell script error:
	set CLASSPATH=...
which is not correct Bourne shell, does not do what the author expected.
I changed to
	export CLASSPATH=...

Finally, sInce I am running behind a NAT firewall, I could not get the
RMI callbacks working, so I gave up on the remote execution feature.
I log into a machine outside the local NAT firewall, run in non-GUI mode
and import the resulting .jtl.

This worked for modest size .jtl, and could not seem to handle larger
requests.

Thanks,

Posted by Drew Gulino <dr...@yahoo.com>.

--- Michael Kandall <ka...@gol.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get started with remote measurement.
>
> When running jmeter in remote mode, the client says
> "Bad call to remote
> host".
> Errors in the server-side log file are below.
>
> jmeter-server is not registering with rmiregistry?
>
> .  $JMETER_HOME/bin/jmeter-server is executed on the
> server.
> .  Client has host or ip set for remote_hosts=.
> .  Full path names are used, so the .jar should have
> been located
>    from the jmeter-server script, and running the
> script in trace
>    mode shows CLASSPATH is ok.
> .  Java release is J2re1.4.2_02 on the server, and
> some version of
>    1.4.2 on the client.   jmeter release the same on
> both ends.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Mike
> ----
>

> 11/15/2003 4:58:11 INFO  - jmeter.JMeter: Version
> 1.9.1
> 11/15/2003 4:58:36 ERROR - jmeter.gui:
> java.rmi.NotBoundException:
> JMeterEngine
> 	at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl.lookup(Unknown
> Source)
> 	at
> sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Skel.dispatch(Unknown
> Source)
> 	at
> sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.oldDispatch(Unknown
> Source)
> 	at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(Unknown
> Source)
> 	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Unknown
> Source)
> 	at
> java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
> Method)
> 	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Unknown
> Source)
> 	at

sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(Unknown
> Source)
> 	at

sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(Unknown
> Source)
> 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
> 	at

sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.exceptionReceivedFromServer(StreamRemoteC
> all.java:247)
> 	at

sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java:223)
> 	at

sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:350)
> 	at
> sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.lookup(Unknown
> Source)
> 	at java.rmi.Naming.lookup(Naming.java:84)
> 	at

org.apache.jmeter.engine.ClientJMeterEngine.<init>(ClientJMeterEngine.java:8
> 4)
> 	at

org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.RemoteStart.doRemoteInit(RemoteStart.java:200)
> 	at

org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.RemoteStart.doAction(RemoteStart.java:113)
> 	at

org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.ActionRouter.performAction(ActionRouter.java:11
> 8)
> 	at

org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.ActionRouter.access$000(ActionRouter.java:80)
> 	at

org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.ActionRouter$1.run(ActionRouter.java:99)
> 	at

java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:178)
> 	at

java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:454)