Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/10 18:55:55 UTC

Re: Rollover scope for Struts 1.3.x

I am back from vacation and ready to finish this task :)

On 9/15/06, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> My biggest concern is that, according to the current proposal, you
> cannot use request scope and flash scope together. So if I have bean X
> that's request scope, and bean Y that's flash scope, and both are using
> the same bean name, I want only Y to participate in the RPG dialog.

Paul, I understand your concern, but mapping flash scope into one of
the standard scopes provides automatic discovery of flash beans by JSP
tags. Both Struts and JSTL tags follow a standard discovery procedure
so nothing has to be changed in this regard. I think this is a big
plus.

Also, I think that having beans with the same name in different scopes
can lead to confusion. I would like to see a use case for such bean
usage.

> So I prefer that you create a URL. That's the one solution that's
> guaranteed to work; cookies may be optional; javascript may be off. I'd
> hope I can use your solution in a non-cookie environment.

Yes, I am going to update URLs. Though I personally prefer my URLs to
be clean of unneeded parameters, updating URLs with a parameter is a
simple approach and is applicable for many use cases. I think that in
most cases a real item ID can be used to identify a particular
instance of flash scope.

Michael.