Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/10 22:09:55 UTC

copy tag shows repo revision, not tag revision - why?

When copying a tag (URL -> URL), the log message shows the repo
revision at the time of the copy, rather than the last commit revision
of the tag.

This occurs if no revision is specified, or if the revision is
specified as HEAD.

The only way to get the log message to show the last commit revision
of the tag seems to be to specify it on the svn copy command; this is
tedious and error-prone.

Is there any simpler way to ensure that the log message shows the last
committed version of the source tag?

This is with svn client
svn, version 1.6.16 (r1073529)

Re: copy tag shows repo revision, not tag revision - why?

Posted by Daniel Becroft <dj...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 6:09 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When copying a tag (URL -> URL), the log message shows the repo
> revision at the time of the copy, rather than the last commit revision
> of the tag.
>
> This occurs if no revision is specified, or if the revision is
> specified as HEAD.

This is correct. The copy operation is copying the tag as it appeared at the
revision specified (ie HEAD), not as at the last commit revision. In your
case, there's no difference.

> The only way to get the log message to show the last commit revision
> of the tag seems to be to specify it on the svn copy command; this is
> tedious and error-prone.
>
> Is there any simpler way to ensure that the log message shows the last
> committed version of the source tag?

No. You can look at the history of the tag ('svn log') to see what the last
change on the source was, though. I'm confused as to why the source copy
revision matters.

Cheers,
Daniel B.