Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2016/07/17 07:49:39 UTC

releasing maven-shared-utils 3.1.0 with styled message API

I worked on documentation to finish from my pov my work on this API:
http://maven.apache.org/shared-archives/maven-shared-utils-LATEST/

I'd like to release maven-shared-utils 3.1.0 to start releasing plugins with
styled messages, and of course work on releasing Maven 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT

any objection?
any improvement?

Regards,

Hervé

Re: releasing maven-shared-utils 3.1.0 with styled message API

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Herv�,

On 7/17/16 9:49 AM, Herv� BOUTEMY wrote:
> I worked on documentation to finish from my pov my work on this API:
> http://maven.apache.org/shared-archives/maven-shared-utils-LATEST/
>
> I'd like to release maven-shared-utils 3.1.0 to start releasing plugins with
> styled messages, and of course work on releasing Maven 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT
>
> any objection?
> any improvement?
>
> Regards,
>
> Herv�

Mit freundlichem Gru�
Karl-Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl-Heinz Marbaise        USt.IdNr: DE191347579
Hauptstrasse 177
52146 W�rselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: releasing maven-shared-utils 3.1.0 with styled message API

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
fixed
thanks for the feedback

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Herv�,

I was to fast pushing on the send button ;-(.

On 7/17/16 9:49 AM, Herv� BOUTEMY wrote:
> I worked on documentation to finish from my pov my work on this API:
> http://maven.apache.org/shared-archives/maven-shared-utils-LATEST/
>
> I'd like to release maven-shared-utils 3.1.0 to start releasing plugins with
> styled messages, and of course work on releasing Maven 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT
>
> any objection?
No objections...

> any improvement?

I don't have any at the moment..

Kind regards
Karl Heinz

Re: releasing maven-shared-utils 3.1.0 with styled message API

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 19:12:35 +0200, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>
wrote:

> just keeping the option with Object will meaen that you must create a
> String
> to append it to the buffer: that's less memory-efficient

What do you mean: you must create a String? Because in the end
StringBuilder does a String.valueOf(Object)? I think we can assume that
most of the time it's a String being passed and that won't claim extra
memory.
And even with a very little bit of overhead I think it is worth over a
simple API. Removing these methods will also spare some memory :)

I understand that JAnsi chose for their implementation with reset() to
stay as close as possible to the actual implementation. But it is our job
have user-friendly wrapper.

Robert

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
ok, you convinced me: done
styled content should be small, then the overhead to create some Strings
should be really small...

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Schulte <cs...@schulte.it>.
Am 07/17/16 um 12:04 schrieb Robert Scholte:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 09:49:39 +0200, Herv BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> I worked on documentation to finish from my pov my work on this API:
>> http://maven.apache.org/shared-archives/maven-shared-utils-LATEST/
>>
>> I'd like to release maven-shared-utils 3.1.0 to start releasing plugins
>> with
>> styled messages, and of course work on releasing Maven 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT
>>
>> any objection?
>> any improvement?
>
> I'd love to see only MessageBuffer#method(Object message) signatures, so
> we can remove the reset() since the already call reset() within those
> methods.
> Now it is a mixture of 2 concepts: one were the developer is responsible
> for resetting it and the concept where every method does already the reset.
> This will reduce the number of methods and we have one clear concept.

+1

Reading 'MessageBuffer' I was missing

error(Object)
debug(Object)
info(Object)

How the methods not taking an Object are meant to be used wasn't quite
clear until reading the source. Maybe also use 'append' instead of just
'a'. Maybe the interface should be named 'MessageBuilder' instead of buffer.

Christian

Re: releasing maven-shared-utils 3.1.0 with styled message API

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.