Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jason Clary <jc...@futurefx.com> on 1997/01/12 00:26:46 UTC

Re: your mail

Is anyone fiddling with the idea of ESL(Lite) integration that anyone
here knows about?  Lite, just in case you don't know, is a sortof script
language that for all intensive purposes looks just like C other than
the fact that it does automatic memory allocation and garbage collection.
It is designed to work with mSQL and its part of the Minerva project.
Its also a compilable laguage to some degree..  it uses a byte-code
engine sortof like java but it should seem instantly recognizable
to anyone who codes C and anyone who codes C can pick it up in under
5 minutes.

The advantage here, of course, is that its a script language so users
could upload lite scripts without having to have access to a compiler
on the machine (for security sake, not allownig shells) and also there's
a pretty nice CGI that if noone else does it, I'm going to make into
a module because it lets you imbed ESL/Lite within your html.

I don't like the w3-msql cgi because you loose some capabilities inherent
in ssi because its not integrated into the server...

I dunno, just asking.. ;P  Since you people obviously aren't opposed
to adding script languages into apache as standard.. ;)

Jason

> I've added "mod_perl" to the related projects page under the heading
> (and its new name) "Apache/Perl Integration Project".
>
> It should stay there until 2.0 has mod_perl as standard (in the src - not
> necessarily compiled in :-)
>

> rob

Re: your mail

Posted by ra...@lerdorf.on.ca.
> Is anyone fiddling with the idea of ESL(Lite) integration that anyone
> here knows about?  Lite, just in case you don't know, is a sortof script
> language that for all intensive purposes looks just like C other than
> the fact that it does automatic memory allocation and garbage collection.
> It is designed to work with mSQL and its part of the Minerva project.
> Its also a compilable laguage to some degree..  it uses a byte-code
> engine sortof like java but it should seem instantly recognizable
> to anyone who codes C and anyone who codes C can pick it up in under
> 5 minutes.

Have a look at PHP/FI (mod_php) at http://www.vex.net/php/

It does everything Lite does, is already a module, and supports more than
just mSQL.

-Rasmus