Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> on 2003/04/23 01:34:30 UTC

FOP exceptions and avalonization

Hi devs,
you may have noticed my patch ffor providing error locations
in FOP Exception messages. How will/does this interfere with
using Avalon exceptions, especially CascadingException, with
FOP? Should we still subclass CascadingException in order to
provide location information? Should this derived exception
always be used, or only at points where location information
is actually available?

Also, any opinions whether I (or someone else) should check
log and Messagehandler messages whether they could be enhanced
with location information before 0.20.5rc3 is released? Or
after the rc3 release?

J.PIetschmann

Re: FOP exceptions and avalonization

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 23.04.2003 01:34:30 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Hi devs,
> you may have noticed my patch ffor providing error locations
> in FOP Exception messages. How will/does this interfere with
> using Avalon exceptions, especially CascadingException, with
> FOP?

I don't think it will. The only thing that changes is the nested
exception not being defined in FOPException but in CascadingException.

> Should we still subclass CascadingException in order to
> provide location information?

I think we can leave it as is. Leave it in FOPException, I mean.

> Should this derived exception
> always be used, or only at points where location information
> is actually available?

Doesn't matter. It doesn't take up memory there. It's the FObj instances
that use the memory.

> Also, any opinions whether I (or someone else) should check
> log and Messagehandler messages whether they could be enhanced
> with location information before 0.20.5rc3 is released? Or
> after the rc3 release?

If you created an immutable class SourceLocation (or something like that)
you could have a toString() method that is easily used in log messages
if necessary. No strong opinion here.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: FOP exceptions and avalonization

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
As someone who wants to start testing the bugfixes in 0.20.5rc3, I vote
we wait 'til after the rc3 release.

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com