Posted to dev@community.apache.org by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com> on 2017/12/08 05:27:05 UTC

Re: ApacheCon 2018

I think Niclas idea has a lot of merit and I think we do have sponsors
who would sponsor booths for example.

If you can get me a target number, I can approach sponsors.

Regards,
KAM

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
Just to update people, I've typed up some ramble of thoughts and sent a
feeler out to George Mason.  Nothing heard back yet but it's finals and
winter break so I'll ping them soon.

Regards,
KAM

Talk to him about space for 200 people for a 1 day event.

Hosted by GMU
Get a new generation of Students interested in OSS

Invite sponsors to have simple tables.  Can be sponsors of CARE, people
looking to recruit talent, Cyber firms and Computer Companies

Dinner party to thank sponsors, hosts & speakers the night before

1 day, 2 tracks, 12 presentations with a keynote and key end.

Rough Ideas for Tracks:

Keynote
Tracks:
1 track on Apache Way
1 track on CARE
2 tracks on OSS in Federal and State Government
3 tracks on Apache related projects
3 tracks on CARE/VSE related items
2 tracks on Cybersecurity
Endnote

Estimate 200 Attendees.  Will need to serve lunch and have 2 rooms that
are designed for 100 people.  Should also have a room or two for people
chat/charge laptops, etc. and a way to bring in a fairly simple lunch.
Something like a Panera boxed lunch would be ideal.

- First step identify space and cost
- Identify how many sponsors we need to cover the cost
- Keep costs to attendees minimal but NOT free to promote RSVPs still
showing up
- Our goal is a highly educational low-cost event that will draw
students, government and open source experts from around the world for a
miniApacheCon 2018.
- If space allows for 300+ and a few more rooms, we can discuss
something 2-3 days as a full ApacheCon 2018.

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
Leif we had an AC 2017 and we are talking about a colocated AC2018 eu.  So i thought a one day us barcamp might be a nice mixup.

I am looking at space and will respond in a bit.  With the holidays it might.take a while to.pin down a space.
Regards,
KAM

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
On 12/14/2017 5:41 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
> I’m slightly confused. I think you are saying that you want to split off, and do a “Barcamp” (or whatever we call it:), separate from AC as Rich Bowen is planning? I’m a bit -1 on that, a big driver for getting people to both “Barcamps (Summits in my case) and ApacheCon is that they are adjacent (time wise) and in the same physical location. This really helps with getting approval for travel etc. from various companies /employers.
>
> This doesn’t imply that we should*not*  do separate BarCamps / events, that’s always been happening (we do two summits / year for my  projects, with only one obviously adjacent to ACNA). So it’s possible I’m just confused, and we’re asking / saying the same things here.

A) I've been to apache barcamps not associated with other AC events.  I
had no similar expectation that they are same physical location and I
think your vision of this event is far grander than what I would best
call a mini-AC.

B) Yes, the infancy-level suggestion is an event not at the same
time/place as AC that Hadrian and I are trying to coordinate as a
one-day event in the DC Metro area.

Regards,
KAM

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

> On Dec 14, 2017, at 7:12 AM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

> On 12/12/2017 02:18 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

>>> The distinction is I am looking at something smaller like a BarCamp level event not an AC level event.
>> I can definitely see the value in this, but it's somewhat saddening if ApacheCon as a conference would no longer exist :-/. But, if it’s not a viable Conference, we should stop wasting our time / money...
>
> ApacheCon will still exist. That is certainly the plan. The board approved a substantial amount of money for ApacheCon to continue to exist.
>
> What's frustrating to me is all the people spreading the message that ApacheCon is no longer going to exist. This is making my job a lot harder, because everyone I approach already "knows" that ApacheCon is no longer going to exist.
>
>> BarCamp and project Summits are great, we do 2 every year in my primary projects. In an ideal world, I’d still like to see an ApacheCon with a 3 or 4 days program:
>> * 1-2 days of BarCamp / Project Summits, at the conference location, sponsored for any projects who wants to organize one. I’m OK with requiring an ApacheCon registration go participate here.
>> * 2 days of a topic based, 2-track Apache related conference. I would strongly encourage that we broaden the horizon here, such that a talk would not necessarily need to be specific to one (or a few). Almost everyone is using at least one Apache Project for any solution they made, and I think it’d be interesting to learn more about how ASF projects are used together with other projects for example.
>
> What you describe here is indeed exactly what the plan is. I need help to make it happen.

Where do I sing up?

— leif

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
On 12/12/2017 8:26 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Unclear what distinction you're making here. Apachecon is of course short
> for "apache conference". The brand has a following.
The distinction is I am looking at something smaller like a BarCamp
level event not an AC level event.

> I would like to see us do something like this. However I'm very skeptical
> of your "sell a dozen tables for vendors" like that's trivial. Certainly i
> would love to see it be that easy but we've been trying this for *years*
> and it gets harder every year.
Excellent.  I will do some research and get back to you.

As for vendor's.  I think the barcamp expenses are lower so I'm thinking
table with a table cloth, two chairs w/power & internet possibly.  I
think you might be thinking more like a booth.  See above about barcamp
vs apachecon and perhaps that's the difference in why I don't think it's
a hard lift?

Regards,
KAM

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Re: ApacheCon 2018

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Kevin, we're both (and others) in DC. Ton of demand here, as we know.
How about trying to organize something here, even smaller events?

Hadrian