Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by James Mansion <ja...@wgold.demon.co.uk> on 2006/09/20 05:39:07 UTC

Tags and diff

Feels like a newbioe question to me, but I must be doing something wrong:

I've imported several versions of the PoCo C++ library series 1.2.x into
<root>\vendor\poco.

After each import (and commit) I:
  cd <root>\vendor
  svn copy poco ..\tags\poco-<ver>
  svn ci ..\tags\poco-<ver>

This does result in the file structure I expect under <root>\tags.

Before the checkin on <root>\poco, a recursive svn st or svn diff was sane,
with a relatively small changeset each time.

But I don't seem to be able to go:
 cd <root>\tags
 svn diff poco-1_2_1 poco-1_2_3

Which is what I was rather hoping to do.  They're simple tags and
its fairly straightforward to find the rev numbers for each tag and
do a diff in the vendor directory between the rev numbers.

If I do the command as above:
  svn diff poco-1_2_1 poco-1_2_3
then I just get an empty result, after some time processing.

If I do:
  svn diff --old=poco-1_2_1 --new=poco-1_2_1

Then is says:
  Sorry, svn_diff_client3 was called in a way that is not yet supported
  Only diffs between a path's text-base and its working copy are supported
at this time

Can't I diff between two tags?

If so, what did I do wrong?

I know the examples go:
  <root>/<project>/tags/..
and I'm using:

But i thought that was allowed and the structure was arbitrary?

James

Re: Tags and diff

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 9/27/06, James Mansion <ja...@wgold.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >If you want to diff two tags, you should be doing it server
> >side, via two url arguments.
>
> Is there any particular reason why?  In this case, particularly,
> the repository is a local file:// one.  This seems a painful
> usage for such a common operation.  Why doesn't the svn program
> (OK, the client library) convert the paths I've given to
> URLs and submit them to the server?

If you hand svn diff two local paths it assumes you want to find any
local changes to those paths.  It's as if you did

$ svn diff *.c

And had two .c files in the directory.  You're not asking for the
difference between a.c and b.c, you're asking "what local changes did
I make to these files".  Or at least that's usually what you want.  If
you want the difference between two arbitrary things you either need
to use URLs or the --old= --new= opeartion (i.e. the second usage
described in 'svn help diff').

-garrett

RE: Tags and diff

Posted by James Mansion <ja...@wgold.demon.co.uk>.
>If you want to diff two tags, you should be doing it server
>side, via two url arguments.

Is there any particular reason why?  In this case, particularly,
the repository is a local file:// one.  This seems a painful
usage for such a common operation.  Why doesn't the svn program
(OK, the client library) convert the paths I've given to
URLs and submit them to the server?

Thanks
James

Re: Tags and diff